Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how do you say 2008/5/6 05:55
i hope ____________________________ ?

what form do you use?

for example: i hope you have a nice weekend?

thks
by kiwi  

... 2008/5/6 11:28
While there is *literal* way to say "I hope...," there is no one form that can be used for all expressions with "I hope..."

For example, "I hope you have a nice weekend!" would be expressed as "Please enjoy a nice weekend" in a polite expression (because it is directed at "you"):
- Tanoshii shumatsu wo o-sugoshi kudasai.
or to a friend:
- Tanoshii shumatsu wo!

For sentences such as "I hope you get well soon!" there are fixed phrases such as:
- Hayaku yokunatte! (casual expression for friends)
- Hayaku yokunarimasu youni (somewhat formal expression)

Another example: "I hope to see you again" or "I hope that I'll get to see you again" would be expressed as "It would be nice if I can get to see you again," (of course there are other different ways to say it too) and it would be:
- Mata o-ai dekitara ureshii desu.
by AK rate this post as useful

Hoshii 2008/5/6 12:01
Hoshii is used to say "I wish" and I think it's similar to "I hope".

Sorry, I forgot how to use that in a sentence. xP
by Mitchan rate this post as useful

I wish vs. I want 2008/5/6 12:19
Hoshii means "I want" and is usually followed by a noun, for example "Atarashii kuruma hoshii!"- I want a new car. It can also be used when you want someone else to do something: "Atarashii kuruma o katte hoshii"- I want you to buy a new car.

I wouldn't really say it translates "I wish" as such.
by kodomokomodo rate this post as useful

:3 2008/5/7 10:27
by kiwi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread