Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cashing Amex US$ Travellers Cheques 2008/5/20 10:12
I am planning to take some yen in cash and some US$ Traveller Cheques.

Will these be easy to cash?

Do the Post Offices cash them?

Many thanks for any help.
by Jacqui Watson  

It's pretty simple. 2008/5/20 15:45
Yes, US$ T/Cs are easy to cash I haven't had any problems cashing them at the larger post offices.

You need to have the name of your hotel and telephone number of where you're staying as well as your passport.

You write this information on the form, (the romanized name of your hotel is ok). Then you specify the currency and amount of the t/cs that you want to cash.

It's pretty simple but you have to go when the post offices are open and there may be a short line up. Once you've figured out which line does the foreign exchanges, look for a ticket machine nearby so you're next in line. I think most of the larger post offices have them.
by Keitm rate this post as useful

better option 2008/5/20 23:39
Cheaper, and just as safe, as the the traveler's checks are international postal money orders. See: http://www.2think.org/dollar-yen-change.shtml
by acase rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/21 23:09
I've never had to pay for traveler's cheques. Neither when getting them, or when cashing them. I guess it depends on your situation.
by Keitm rate this post as useful

Airport or banks 2008/5/22 01:38
It is very easy to cash traveller's checks at the airport when you arrive. You can also cash traveller's checks at most banks in Japan. I had no problem, although most of the banks wouldn't do traveller's check transactions until about an hour after they opened.
by Sue rate this post as useful

AMEX travelers checks 2008/5/22 08:14
AMEX charges $15 per order plus shipping ($12.95+) for travelers checks. Where are you getting yours that they are free?
by acase rate this post as useful

TC 2008/5/22 15:48
i get my amex T/Cs for free @ Bank of America. it's free for all Prima Account holders. i'm sure other banks have similar rules.
by Dan rate this post as useful

Yamanashi 2008/12/24 20:41
If you are going to be in the Yamanashi Prefecture you can only really count on Kofu Central JP for cashing your checks. After 12 unsuccessful attempts throught Yamanashi, including banks in Kofu City itself, Kofu Central was able to cash them. They also have a very nice lady who speaks almost perfect English so any problems can be addressed quickly.
by Jeff rate this post as useful

reply to this thread