Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tsumago accommodation 2008/5/22 13:24
i will be travelling to tsumago in June and plan to walk the nakasendo highway between magomoe and tsumago. Can anyone recommend a good ryokan in tsumago for 1 night?
by yvette  

Ryokan in Tsumago 2008/5/22 14:37
I recently stayed at Matsushiroya Ryokan in Tsumago and was very happy. The building is on the main street in town, and the interior is lovely with an open view of the garden. The food and service were excellent as well. Here is their website:

http://www17.ocn.ne.jp/~hatago-m/
by k rate this post as useful

Ryokan 2008/5/22 16:34
We stayed at the Hanaya Ryokan recently.

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/tsumago/hanaya.htm

It was about a 10 to 15 min walk down to the actual village but it was a pleasant walk. The accommodation was in the newer section so modern but still very Japanese and we ate in their dining room which was in the very old traditional section.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were going to only stay 1 night then walk to Magome and stay there the next night( getting our baggage carried ahead) but we ended up catching a taxi only about 2000 to 3000 yen I think, then walking from Magome back to Tsumago and spending a second night in Tsumago before heading off to Tokyo the next day. It saved having to change accommodation yet still allowed us plenty of time to see Tsumago and Magome. These few days in the countryside were a highlight of our 3 week trip. It was such a contrast to the big busling cities that Japan is so famous for. Enjoy! I don't think that you can go too far wrong with accommodation in Tsumago.
by Maree rate this post as useful

Tsumago accomodations 2008/5/24 09:29
We just returned from two days in Tsumago and stayed at Shimnogasaga Inn. We reserved it through Japanese Guest Houses. It was in the center of town and I felt like we were living in a small Edo period home. The family who hosted us was very special and wonderful people. My husband had to go to the hospital on Sunday and they helped us with contacting the hospital and arranging everything for us. I highly recommend their charming and yet simple guest house. We could hear the sound of the rushing river from our room and the sound of birds. I think it is ideal to stay in an inn that is on the main road of the town because you can wander around easily. Enjoy your stay there. I would like to hear about your experiences there.
by motsuki rate this post as useful

Access from station 2009/1/17 09:33
Were these inns easy to access from Nagiso train station? Could you easily walk there (with luggage), or if you needed a taxi, approximately how much did it cost?
by Maxi (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/17 10:37
Access from Nagiso Station to Tsumago is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6077.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

restaurants 2009/1/17 16:12
Thanks Uji for the response. I have another question. What is the choice of restaurants like for dinner?
by Maxi (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/17 17:34
Dinner is included with the stay at most minshuku and pensions in the Tsumago area.
I can't remember seeing many restaurants around town.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread