Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking territory along Tohoku shinkansen 2008/6/8 01:10
I am going up to Aomori with a few colleagues later in June, to walk in Shirakami Sanchi and Oirase River, possibly also climbing Iwaki or Hakkoda mountains, visit some onsen.

We have a few days to fill before returning to Tokyo. Looking for more hiking or trail walking, in rail-accessible places. Good ''inaka'' is what we want, in short. Non-urban.

Anyone know the zone between say, Fukushima and Morioka or Hachinohe?
by Tony  

tsuyu 2008/6/9 16:39
Oh yes - in anticipation of an answer, I should ask: how far north is the June rainy season an issue?

I know that Hokkaido is 'immune'. Does that also hold for Aomori, Iwate, Yamagata, Miyagi ....?
by Tony rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/9 17:31
Here are the percentages of rainy days in late June for selected cities in northern Japan. Rainy day is defined as a day with at least 1 mm of rain.

Wakkanai (Hokkaido): 23%
Sapporo (Hokkaido): 23%
Hakodate (Hokkaido): 26%
Aomori (Aomori): 28%
Morioka (Iwate): 37%
Akita (Akita): 38%
Sendai (Miyagi): 45%
Yamagata (Yamagata): 40%
Fukushima (Fukushima): 42%

For comparison:
Tokyo: 44%
Kyoto: 49%
Fukuoka: 45%
Kagoshima: 46%
Naha: 23%
by Uji rate this post as useful

Good info 2008/6/10 09:36
Thanks for that - very useful. May I ask, is it cut and pasted from a website? Indeed, useful.

I had sort of decided to go to Kinkazan (E side of Miyajima Bay) where I understand there are some nice trails with sea views. But with Sendai's rather high probability of rain ...

So now I am wondering about Iwate. I know it is not far north of Sendai, but it seems somewhat drier. On the other hand, I supppose we could get the Akita shinkansen W of Morioka and look around that area, then easily head back to Tokyo.

Hard to decide. Any good hiking suggestions near Akita generally, anybody?

Onsen, minshuku or ryokan advice also welcome. We have fairly looose budgets, and there will be Japanese speakers among us.
by Tom rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/10 12:39
May I ask, is it cut and pasted frqsom a website?

I looked it up one by one on the following website:
http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/index.php
by Uji rate this post as useful

Appreciated 2008/6/10 14:29
Then I am truly grateful for you work.

I have sort of narrowed my search now to either the Hachimantai area or the Zao area, although Mount Hayachine looks interesting, perhaps with a visit to Tono to round things out with some local culture.

But before I give up on Kinkazan, does anyone with experience have an opinion about it - in late June?

Thanks from Tony (misprinted my own name before - concentrating too much on maps and rain stats..)
by Tony rate this post as useful

reply to this thread