Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita-Kyoto 2008/6/9 23:21
I've been checking online fares and it seems that the Japan Rail Pass and the regular tickets are comparable in cost. Is this true?

I'm having trouble determining the route from Narita (arriving at 11am) to Kyoto for 5 July. Especially if we do not take the Nozomi trains (can't take them with the JRP). It looks like the Narita Express and then get off at Shinagawa to catch a Hikari train. Am I on the right track or any suggestions? Only 2 days in Kyoto so time is a factor.

Also, I live in Okinawa Japan (I know I'm not, but my family is eligible for the JRP), how can I reserve seats for all of us?

Thanks! :-)
by Jaguar  

Narita to Kyoto 2008/6/10 10:33
Jaguar,

I've been checking online fares and it seems that the Japan Rail Pass and the regular tickets are comparable in cost. Is this true?

Yes, they are probably around the same if you are also returning to Tokyo from Kyoto. Aside from cost, the railpass saves you the hassle of buying tickets, but the downside is that you are limited to the two (slightly slower) Hikari services per hour.

I'm having trouble determining the route from Narita (arriving at 11am) to Kyoto for 5 July. Especially if we do not take the Nozomi trains (can't take them with the JRP). It looks like the Narita Express and then get off at Shinagawa to catch a Hikari train. Am I on the right track or any suggestions?

That is exactly right. You can change trains at Tokyo, but that involves a long walk from the Narita Express to Shinkansen platforms, so Shinagawa is definitely the better choice.

Also, I live in Okinawa Japan (I know I'm not, but my family is eligible for the JRP), how can I reserve seats for all of us?

You probably don't want to reserve seats on the Narita Express from Narita in advance, as you can never be 100% sure which train you will be using. For the shinkansen, it is possible for you to reserve seats in advance on behalf of your family members before they arrive. I suggest going to a JR View Plaza office rather than the Midorinomadoguchi ticket counter. Note that you will need to go there again to actually pick up the reservations once your family have arrived and you can show their railpasses.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/10 12:42
I'm having trouble determining the route from Narita (arriving at 11am) to Kyoto for 5 July. Especially if we do not take the Nozomi trains (can't take them with the JRP). It looks like the Narita Express and then get off at Shinagawa to catch a Hikari train. Am I on the right track or any suggestions? Only 2 days in Kyoto so time is a factor.

At Shinagawa you can change from the Narita Express to the Shinkansen in 6 to 7 minutes, while it will take you 15 minutes at Tokyo.

Six Narita Express services don't stop at Shinagawa. If you coincide with one of them, you need to change at Tokyo.

Schedules of Narita Express from Narita Airport (NRT) to Shinagawa, and onto Kyoto on Shinkansen Hikari unless specified.

NRT--Shinagawa(Tokyo)--Kyoto
11:15-12:30 / 12:40-15:14
11:45-12:57 / 13:10-15:48
12:15-13:30 / 13:40-16:14
13:15-14:30 / 14:40-17:14
13:45-14:52 / 15:10-17:48

If you're very literate in Japanese, you might want to utilize the 'ekinet' scheme served by JR East. Directions are in the follwoing thread.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/message.jspa?messageID...
by optimistk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread