Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Banks/Electronic questions about Japan 2008/6/10 23:38
Hi just got offered a place with Interac and am now trying to sort everything out so I have less hassle when I get there. I'm from Scotland.

First Question.
Whats the best way of arranging bank accounts so that I can pay bills in the UK? I've looked into offshore accounts but they are too expensive! Would I be best having a UK account and a Japanese account with say citibank? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Second question.
If I take my mobile phone can I buy a sim card out there and have it work? Or would I just need to buy a phone out there?

Third question.
How likely is it that the apartment I get will have internet access? Obviously I will be taking my laptop with me so I can keep in touch with the family but how difficult is it going to be?

Fourth question.
I think I know the answer to this one already but I might as well ask. Can I take my nintendo wii with me?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
by Siobhan  

... 2008/6/11 08:58
First Question.
Whats the best way of arranging bank accounts so that I can pay bills in the UK? I've looked into offshore accounts but they are too expensive! Would I be best having a UK account and a Japanese account with say citibank? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Keep your UK account and open a new account in Japan. I'd suggest a Postal Bank account as they have branches at most of the Post Offices all over Japan. There are many ways you can transfer money to your UK account. One of the easiest, cheapest, and fastest (a rare combination) is http://www.golloyds.com

Second question.
If I take my mobile phone can I buy a sim card out there and have it work? Or would I just need to buy a phone out there?

You cannot buy SIM cards in Japan without getting a phone as well. There are many advantages to getting a new phone out here (Japanese character support for emailing, more advanced tech, etc.) and they can be practically free with a monthly subscription.

See more general phone info here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223_top.html

Third question.
How likely is it that the apartment I get will have internet access? Obviously I will be taking my laptop with me so I can keep in touch with the family but how difficult is it going to be?

It really depends on your particular apartment building. Internet access is increasingly being included in new apartments, but it is more likely to be in newer buildings or short term "leopalace" apartments. If your apartment doesn't come with internet (and I'm guessing it probably won't) it is easy to set up and monthly fees are relatively cheap. Check out this company that will help you in English and for free (another rare combination):

http://bbapply.com

Fourth question.
I think I know the answer to this one already but I might as well ask. Can I take my nintendo wii with me?

Theoretically yes, but the details are much more complicated. You'll need a PAL tv (Japanese tvs are NTSC, although I think the newer ones can switch between the two), you may need an upconverting transformer (expensive), and you will have to get all your new games from the UK (the Wii is region coded). I think you're better off getting a Japanese Wii here. You can find them at second hand stores pretty cheap (I remember seeing them for around 20000 yen) and then sell it when you leave.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

SIM-only from Softbank 2008/6/11 18:50
.You cannot buy SIM cards in Japan
.without getting a phone as well.

That has been the case traditionally, but it's finally starting to change.

Although it's not promoted as such, I understand that Softbank's "White Plan" is basically a SIM-only plan. (That is, there are no handset subsidies - you either purchase a suitable 3G phone, or you can pay for a new handset in monthly installments).

The Softbank prepaid is also available as SIM-only. The SIM itself is free, and you purchase recharge cards to use it.

In fact, the cheapest handset for Softbank's "White Plan", last time I checked, was the 705px (9975yen) - a phone that's promoted for prepaid service, but, as a 3G phone locked to Softbank Mobile, would also be usable with a "White Plan" SIM.

by anon rate this post as useful

Handset Only? 2008/7/5 19:39
Hi Guys.

Is it therefore possible to just buy a handset for use with an overseas SIM? I have a contract phone but the handset is not 3g and I can't therefore use in Japan but if I could get a handset that would take the sim that would be great.
by Jae29UK rate this post as useful

handsets are locked 2008/7/5 22:12
.Is it therefore possible to just buy a
.handset for use with an overseas SIM?

No.

All handsets sold by Softbank Mobile and NTT Docomo shops are all SIM locked, so they only accept Softbank Mobile and NTT Docomo SIM cards respectively.

You would need to acquire a suitable unlocked 3G phone from somewhere else.
by anon rate this post as useful

Citi banking 2008/7/6 06:46
Citi bank does not easily support international banking transfers into Japan Citi bank accounts. Apparently they are two seperate entities. I have a USA Citi bank account and am not able to easily transfer money to Japan's Citi banks. I have found the most convenient way to send money to Japan was International wires to my non-Citi bank account. Citi bank supports on-line wire transfers which is great, but the exchange rate is low, and the service is not that great. I used to send money to USA from postal money orders, but if you need to send larger amounts, wire transfer are better. Hope this helps a little.
by Max rate this post as useful

Reg. cellphones 2008/7/6 07:05
Regarding Cellphones: You CAN in fact use some japanese phones with overseas sim-cards. (From Europe) You need to find a hypersim-card, which will work as an adaptor to unlock your phone. But please note there is a unique Hypersim-card for every phone, so you have to get the right one. (Hypersims mostly work for NEC, Sharp and Fujitsu phones!)

Take a look at this for additional info:
http://www.jphonesimfree.com/

Good luck.
by Th0mas24 rate this post as useful

starting up is a pain in the ass 2008/7/6 18:49
As many have said, the smart move is to have a Japanese account and a UK account.
I'm from the USA, I have Citbank there and Mizuho in Japan. Much paperwork! I recommend Mizuho because there are tons of branches everywhere.

Japan Citibank is a completely different Citibank. Honestly, don't even bother.

Use GoLloyds to make transfers from the Japanese bank account to the UK bank account. I do it all the time. Minimal paperwork. Very reliable, and I think their exchange rates are good.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

about "white plan" for cell phones 2008/7/7 00:43
anon, do you know anymore about this plan? I have been looking on the internet, and have found this: http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/price_plan/whiteplan/index.html.

It seems that it is Y980 a month - I can't figure out much more about it - can you prepay it?

Softbank also have information on prepaid services - am I right in assuming that a tourist can't get one? I'm going to be in Japan for 42 days, and am trying to find a (reasonably priced) option for contacting home.

by bobsi18 rate this post as useful

Ah, nevermind 2008/7/7 01:18
Aaah, nevermind. After spending a good couple of hours searching this site and others, it appears that I will be unable to get a prepaid phone, as I am not a resident. Any recommendations on cost effective options for sim rental etc? would prefer a ''prepaid'' service if available, don't like the surprises at the end!
by bobsi18 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread