Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using JR Pass on a Kintetsu line 2008/6/11 06:30
Hi I have a JR pass. I'm thinking of going to Azuchi Momoyama Bunka Mura from Iga-Ueno using the Kintetsu Iga Kambe to JR Futaminoura Station(changing at JR Ise shi staion) as it seems to save some amount of time.

Do I have to pay for a full price ticket for the journey from Iga Kambe to Ise-shi or do I have to pay a nominal sum instead?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4304.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4353.html
by Zhangy  

Japan Rail Pass 2008/6/11 09:34
Zhangy,

The Japan Rail Pass is not valid on private lines such as Kintetsu, so you will have to buy regular tickets. You can of course use the pass for JR sections of the journey.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/11 09:34
You have to pay the full fare whenever using non-JR trains, including Kintetsu trains.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kintetsu Rail Pass 2008/6/11 12:09
Kintetsu Rail Pass is also available between Nagoya, Osaka, Nara, Yoshino, and Kyoto
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html
by Ts rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/6/11 19:57
ah thanks. at least its the only leg of my journey that requires Kintetsu ^_^
by Zhangy rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/11 23:28
at least its the only leg of my journey that requires Kintetsu

If you travel via Iga-Ueno and Kameyama Stations, you can do most of the trip by JR.

hmm 2008/6/12 05:57
If you travel via Iga-Ueno and Kameyama Stations, you can do most of the trip by JR.

I check this path out. just not entirely keen to do a 2+ hour journey there and back (4+ in total)

Where can i go using Japan Rail pass? 2008/7/24 17:27
i wish to visit kyoto as well as tokyo. since i decided to buy a 7 day jr pass, i wish to travel to attractions that are within reach.

unless its a must go attraction, i would want to travel only using the JR pass.

or should i not get a JR pass? my flight start & end at kansia airport.
by Adelyte rate this post as useful

you should! 2008/7/24 23:20
It's highly recommended to buy JR Pass when you make return travel between Osaka/Kyoto and Tokyo plus many other attractions such as Himeji, Nara and Hiroshima.

The problem is JR is not convenient so much when you are WITHIN Kyoto and Tokyo XXD. Tokyo and Kyoto's primary transportation is the subway(or bus in Kyoto), for which JR Pass is not valid.
by Ts rate this post as useful

JR 2008/7/24 23:48
Actually one CAN travel around most of Tokyo's major neighbourhoods with the JR Yamanote loop line. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line
and click on the map to enlarge it. Of course one shouldn't get a JR pass if one only stays in Tokyo but if one also plan to go to Kyoto or another long distance destination (and back) for a few days then visit Nikko, Kamakura etc. on a day trips, then one can use the JR pass on the Yamanote. I have visited Tokyo several times and each time used the Yamanote for the majority of my trips around Tokyo.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

kintetsu rail pass on Iga Railway? 2008/9/17 21:50
Got another question. Is the kintetsu rail pass valid on the Iga Railway?

The stretch between Uenoshi to Iga-Kambe in particular.

If its not. Is there a 4-5 day pass that can be purchased since I'm gonna be in that area for a few days

... 2008/9/18 07:53
Got another question. Is the kintetsu rail pass valid on the Iga Railway?

I am almost certain that it is not covered. The line used to be Kintetsu until one year ago, but now it is operated by Iga Railways. Iga Railways is a subsidiary of Kintetsu, but I am pretty sure that the rail pass cannot used on it.

About the Kintetsu pass on Iga Railway 2008/10/3 20:59
I tried using it on the railway. When the conductors there saw it, there was a bit of asking back and forth amongst themselves but they clear me the pass usage on the Iga Railway. ^_^

Seems like they don't see this pass used often

. 2008/10/3 21:45
I tend to lean towards "no" officially, but like you say, frontline staff might not be too familiar with the pass. So for other users their experiences may "vary".
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/4 08:50
Thank you Zhangy for your great feedback. Like John, I think they let your ride either out of ignorance or because they wanted to avoid complications/communication with a foreigner.

It is pretty clear from their website that the Iga Line is not anymore covered by the Kintetsu Rail Pass, and I recommend not to use the pass on the line in order to avoid causing troubles.

I see 2008/10/5 08:20
Understood. but is there some way to confirm what the official stand on this is? Like a link to any webiste. I think this does confuse if some folks manage to get through while others can't

You should be ok! 2008/10/5 13:26
Actually I stand corrected:
The English Site of the Kintetsu Railpass says:

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/useful/ticket/rpw1...

"- Unlimited ride on the Kintetsu Railway and Iga Tetsudo[ - vaild for 5 days"

. 2008/10/5 13:30
Hmmm I might be wrong again,
I take that back, because that is THE ONLY reference I can find. And the English version of Japanese websites are NOTORIOUSLY out of date sometimes.

YMMV.

... 2008/10/5 14:17
John, you are right! I didn't catch that. Iga Tetsudo has only been founded a few months ago, therefore, I am pretty sure that it is up-to-date. I take everything back on what I said about not using it.

reply to this thread