Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can somebody help me with translating? 2008/6/13 04:31
知り合いのいない国に行くのは心細いので、私はきっと日本から出ないと思います。

I do have good enough knowledge of Japanese to translate the second sentence.

Basically she is saying that she doesn't think that she will ever leave Japan.

I'm not sure about the first sentence though. I can make out words like acquaintance and helpless?
by Jingo  

. 2008/6/13 08:45
Your translation of the second sentence is right. The first one says "I'd feel helpless moving/going to another country where I don't have any friends or acquaintances.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

--- 2008/6/13 08:53
知り合いのいない国: The country where I have no friends

行くのは心細いので、: I feel lonely to go ...

私はきっと日本から出ないと思います。: I think I will never go out of Japan.
by T rate this post as useful

Jingo 2008/6/14 07:54
あなたの国には文化祭というものはありますか?

I know what she is saying here, but don't know what to say in reply.

''In your country do you have any cultural festivals''

Well in New Zealand we don't reallly have any cultural festivals like they do in Japan.

How can I say that to her?
by Jingo rate this post as useful

we do have festivals 2008/6/14 08:09
Not an answer to your question, but in Auckland at least there are plenty- huge Pasifika festivals and various Asian ones as well.

Christmas and Easter could also be considered cultural festivals- the Christmas parades most areas have is definitely a kind of festival, as is the Easter Show in Auckland, although we may not actually call it a "festival". Then there is Guy Fawkes, which is a fireworks festival.
by Sira rate this post as useful

jai 2008/6/14 08:24
I would just say that we have a few Christian festivals, yet still they aren't celebrated in the same way they would be in Japan.

can you explain? 2008/6/14 10:49
Different in what way? I agree that we have a lot fewer festivals than they do in Japan because NZ is such a young country, but I would say Christmas is quite a big celebration, and that Christmas parades look a lot like a Japanese festival, with different themes of course.

... 2008/6/14 12:49
To Jingo and Sira,

I think when we say 文化祭 (literally translated as "cultural festival"), we refer to the ones held at schools (mostly in junior high and senior high schools, maybe in some colleges...), where the students in classes/groups perform theater performance, present their club activities, sing in chorus, etc.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

well in that case... 2008/6/14 14:05
Could you please tell me how I would say that we don't really do that sort of stuff in New Zealand schools.

school festivals/ fairs 2008/6/14 16:51
Thanks for explaining that, AK. Things at NZ schools must have changed since I was there then, because we did do that kind of thing at primary school at least, with different themes each year- I remember a mediaeval-themed fair we held which was really fun.

Sorry your question still hasn't been answered, Jingo, but I'll leave it for one of the Japanese people.

to Jingo, how about this one? 2008/6/14 17:42
we don't really do that sort of stuff in New Zealand schools.

nyuujiirando no gakkou dewa sono youna gyoujigoto (nihon no bunkasai no youna) wa toku ni arimasen
by im rate this post as useful

Now what is she saying? 2008/6/17 05:34
私は悪評という言葉を、このメールで初めて知りました!なので垂オ訳ありませんが、この部分の修正が正しいかどうかはわかりません:(

I'm not sure if bad reputation is the correct word or something like that?

... 2008/6/19 10:15
私は悪評という言葉を、このメールで初めて知りました!なので垂オ訳ありませんが、この部分の修正が正しいかどうかはわかりません:(

"I got to know this word "bad reputation" ("akuhyou") for the first time in this mail! So, I'm sorry to say that I do not know if the correction on this part is correct :( "

...It sounds like there has been some mix-up...
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread