Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Narita Airport - English ok? 2008/6/14 20:32
Hi everyone, I will be touching down in Tokyo on Tuesday and will need to turn in my JR Pass exchange order as well as reserve 3 shinkansen trips.

My question is quite simple, would I be able to do this all at the JR Narita Airport station? Being the airport station, would I be correct in assuming that the attendents will be able to speak English? I do not know enough Japanese to be able to reserve shinkansen seats...

Thank you very much, any help is appreciated!
by yjs  

... 2008/6/14 21:32
A majority of Japan Rail Pass holders at Narita Airport are in the same situation as you, and all of them succeed in making seat reservations. It requires almost no English skills on part of the ticket vendor to accept a seat reservation order. The following information is all that the regular traveler needs to provide:

Departure station
Destination station
Date and time of departure
Number of people
Smoking/non-smking
by Uji rate this post as useful

Was fine for me. 2008/6/15 01:31
I did this last october and the staff in the office at JRM Narita Airport spoke enough english to make the process painless. I can speak some Japanese but it was easier to do this in English^_^
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

No problems at Narita! 2008/6/15 04:24
You will have no problems whatsoever - dont worry. They do speak a little bit of English, and more than enough for you to make your reservations. Take it easy and enjoy your trip!!!
by Th0mas24 rate this post as useful

English is spoken 2008/6/15 07:58
I don't think I have been to an airport anywhere in the world (and I have probably been to over 30 airports) where English isn't ok.

Remember that every day hundreds if not thousands of non-Japanese speaking people arrive at the airport and manage to get tickets at the train counters- my guess is you will be fine too.

My parents were here recently and didn't have any trouble at all- Narita is a major international airport, therefore the staff there are likely to speak some English.
by SHU rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/6/15 18:35
Thanks for the help everyone, I will try my best. :D

This will be the first time I'll be travelling in a country where I can't speak the language- looking forward to the challenge!
by yjs rate this post as useful

OK 2008/6/15 19:44
I only encountered one JR counter during my travels where the person who served me didn't know english. Even that was fine because all I had to say was 'Tokyo' while handing over the JR Pass and he got out a timetable with the train times and I pointed. When I originally exchanged my pass the lady hardly spoke to me, just took it and processed it like she'd done it a hundred times before - no worries :)
by Zoe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread