Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass vs. Single Tickets? 2008/6/17 09:18
Two friends and I are planning go visit Japan for a little over a week, and there will be some concerts in Hiroshima we want to see, but we are staying in Tokyo. So, is it cheaper to just buy a standard JR Pass for 7days or is it cheaper to pay for single tickets for the places we decided to see? Thanks!
by Ruk  

JRPass 2008/6/17 09:56
The JRpass will be a huge savings. Tokyo to Hiroshima (one way!) is almost the cost of the railpass.

Plus you can use the JR pass on any of their lines including the highly used Yamanote line in Tokyo.
by HawaiiLS rate this post as useful

Sure? 2008/6/19 19:18
I'd check this.
We traveled from Tokyo to Kyoto, from Kyoto to Iga Ueno and back, from Kyoto to Hiroshima and from there to Osaka.
The price of the JR pass turned out to be a bit less than if we'd bought single tickets (I'm not sure if the Iga Ueno trip was included when I calculated this).
And a few trips with the Yamanote line wouldn't make much of a difference.
by Olve rate this post as useful

depends 2008/6/19 20:22
It really depends on much JR transportation you'll be using when in Japan.

I know the round trip ticket from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back will be expensive but if that's all the use you'll get out of the JR pass then maybe it might not be worth it.
On this trip to Hiroshima you can make seat reservations and on other local JR lines you should be able to simply just go by the EKI attendent and show them your JR pass. This makes it fast and simple going from place to place in local areas such as the Yamanote line as mentioned.

If you're going from city to city by the JR Shinkansen lines then I would think that definitely the JR pass will be worth it.

Good luck and have lots of fun on your trip.
by Hiro rate this post as useful

JR Pass or not 2008/6/19 20:36
7 day JR Rail Pass is Yen 28300.
Tokyo - Hiroshima - Tokyo by single tickets is Yen 35700. By hikari shinkansen it takes 5 hours one way and one transfer. You cannot return to Tokyo same day later than 18.51 h leave Hiroshima, transfer ShinOsaka arrive Tokyo 23.26 h, there is one night train leave Hiroshima 22.37 h arrive Tokyo 09.58 +1, surcharge for JR Rail Pass holders Yen 9500. Without JR Rail Pass you can use nozomi shinkansen, last return from Hiroshima 19.57 h arrive Tokyo 23.45 h, no transfer.
The mentioned routes by single tickets are about:
Tokyo - Kyoto Yen 13000
Kyoto - IgaUeno - Kyoto Yen 2500 all JR trains
Kyoto - Hiroshima Yen 10600
Hiroshima - ShinOsaka Yen 10000
total Yen 36100
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread