Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Verified by visa sign 2008/6/20 00:27
Please can some one help me out.
I have a visa debit card issued in Japan and I have been trying to register it on the visa web page BUT it says my card is not eligible..I card the card issuer the customer service girl never heard about verified by visa.

Can any one advise me how to go about this please or are there any other card issuer in Japan that are eligible for same?
by ebewe  

... 2008/6/20 09:51
Exactly where are you trying to register?

"Verified by Visa" ("Viza Ninshou Saabisu" in Japanese) is a service offered by card issuers in Japan, for better security on online purchases. On Visa's website, they list all the major credit card companies in Japan... is your card a debit card issued by a bank?
by AK rate this post as useful

Verified by visa sign 2008/6/20 10:02
Yes, I tried it on visa web page to activate it. my card was issued by ebank.jp but the customer service never heard about verified by visa. I dont want to call them again..do you have any idea which site listed the verified by visa in japan..infact how do I register my card to have the password for added protection on my card pls.
by ebewe rate this post as useful

Re: Verified by visa sign 2008/6/20 14:44
Since visa is not the card issuer, they might not recognize it as their card. The link below gives and "Verified by Visa activation demo" and might explain what you are trying to do:

http://www.visaeurope.com/merchant/handlingvisapayments/card...
by Kappa rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/20 14:50
The procedure is to go to your card issuer's website (in your case, e-bank's site) and to sign up for Verified by Visa service.
http://www.ebank.co.jp/kojin/security/devit/visa_service.htm...

If you try calling again, ask about "VISA Ninshou Service" (Visa verification/authentication service) that's the name used in Japan.

The online shops that accept Verified by Visa are listed on Visa International's website.
http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/jp/cardholders/security/shop.jsp

But note that in Japan, many online shops do not use this service - they rely on Secure Socket Layer (SSL) or other systems. Major online shopping malls such as Rakuten and Yahoo have their own security systems.

Just to add 2008/6/20 14:57
To Kappa,

This is something I found out only after years of using Visa credit cards :) but Visa by itself does not issue any card at all in the first place. They provide the back-end system that connects all the shops that accept their branded cards, all the card issuers that issue cards with the Visa brand mark on them, and they do the settlement among those parties.

If you look at your card, there will always be an issuer name - it may be your bank (in Europe most likely), it may be a card busiess-only company (likely in the US), and it maybe a bank OR a bank's subsidiary dedicated to card busiiness (likely in Japan, but changing, as banks are starting to issue cards on their own). Consumers who have cards deal with the issuer, not directly with Visa.

And this is why you have to go to the issuer's site to sign up - then you come back to Visa's site to "activate" the Verified by Visa service.

cards 2008/6/20 16:04
the post just before mine says it all. here in North America we must have thousands of different Visa and Mastercard cards. Each card is issued by a financial institution, the one that send you a monthly bill. This the company that you have to deal with. Besides all that, if the card is a debit card it doesn't need to be "verified" as the money is taken from your bank account at once, unlike a credit card that "lend" you money until you pay it back. In that case a store should make sure that your card is legit.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/20 16:20
Sorry I got the thread a bit off the topic.

"Verified by Visa" is more user protection on "virtual" shops - when you try to enter your card number at an online site, a screen comes up to ask you for the secret password, so that noone who picked up a lost card can make purchase using your card number. This service is provided by your card issuer, so you need to go to the card issuer's site.

Verified by visa sign 2008/6/20 16:27
AK and Paka, Thanks for your link. I have just done it and I got email from ebank.
I think this forum is the best place to ask question as all of you good guys dealt with my case like a pro.
God bless you all..
my VISA card is now verified and I have a password for added security.
Do i need to activate it again on visa web page as suggested above?

... 2008/6/20 16:31
Good you got it done :)

I think you can either (1) activate it now, or (2) wait until you come across a website that uses Verified by Visa service - then there is a mechanism to do the activation as you shop. You can go either way I believe :)

Verified by visa sign 2008/6/20 17:47
OK Thank you guys ..am done with the activation as I made a successful transaction on one merchant and the site took me to my bank for my verified by visa password. This is exactly what I wanted.

Peace to all you guys

visa money transfer 2008/6/21 17:58
Am sorry to bother you guys again. Can you guide me step by step how I can pay mother to another visa debit card for my sone studying oversea? I heard visa got this service, is it available with ebank or any other card?

... 2008/6/21 19:13
To ebewe,

I don't know if this service by Visa is available in Japan as of now.

For sending money overseas, you might want to check other past threads on this forum - try searching with key words like: sending money, money transfer, etc.

visa money transfer 2008/6/21 20:20
Yeah am away of other ways of sending money BUT visa money transfer makes it easier to simply send money to another visa debit card holder. Only the 16 digits is required to finalise the transfer.

reply to this thread