Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

internet phone question 2008/6/22 22:33
Dear folks,
greetins from Hawaii, Its the rainy season here, if you folks were thinking of visiting about now,
but its still okay... Plan to be in Japan in a week, so Im sure its probably a bit more humid....

I wanted to inquire the possibility to create a bank account,
before I leave the states,, if i have a place of residence secured,
which may/may not be necessary for an enrollment in to a phone service that will allow me to (connect my pc to the internet via phone) plan, thats pretty much affordable, and have little worries about limits..
I believe if i were to suscribe to a service here, and then fly to japan, was not an option, because of the different technologies, and the unavailable coverage and hence my inquiry in to the japanese phone market.

It would be nice if i were able to stay longer but I only plan to stay for about 2 months,but because my work is online and i will be moving from place to place and taking in a few sites, I was wondering if you folks out there had any advice for a old-timer like me ?

* I have been checking out KDDI, Softbank, NTTdocomo, however I dont know, I thought maybe someone more tech savy & younger than I, would know something more regarding.

Thanks,
tucker
*Thanks for your help* :D
by tucker  

not possible 2008/6/22 22:34
tucker, you need an alien registration card to open a bank account in Japan, so no, you won't be able to set one up before you arrive.
by SHU rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/23 05:47
If your purpose is Internet connection only (i.e. no voice calls), AIR-EDGE rental may be worth considering.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

clarification 2008/6/24 06:07
Thank you Shu & meringue4

I forgot to clarify that I have Japanese citizenship, however its my first time I will be in Japan.

I would like to recieve some voice calls/ and
I mean in the states,
the card alone would cost 250$ without a long-term plan/ then -pay 60$/month for x data transfer.
But japan being more technological, I thought it might be different, or anyone out there might know,.
by tucker rate this post as useful

internet phone 2008/6/24 09:04
bit confused as to what exactly your looking for--but for what it's worth, I live in Japan and use Skype-, Skype In, and Skype out. I have a 702 area code # . I pay using paypal - works great for me.
by wds rate this post as useful

thanks - internet/phone 2008/7/16 09:42
thank you so much wds, and the afore mentioned party for your help,
ive been struggling with a pre-paid phone...and getting by, but this no- internet thing is abit bothering so, i think i will go find one of those air-edge things ?

thanks again all !!
by tucker rate this post as useful

reply to this thread