Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Authentic Japanese food in Queens? 2008/6/24 18:24
There are so many 'fake' Japanese restaurants in Queens, that I'm afraid to patronize. Do you know of any in Queens that are really Japanese .... and not chinese or phillipino? I love the O'bento in Family Market, but it's far from my house. Tell me please. Thanx !
by ronjo  

Midtown 2008/6/25 15:34
by Mitsuo rate this post as useful

I'm looking too 2008/6/26 02:05
They are located in the city, not in Queens.

There are quite a few REAL JP restaurants in the village.
Just walk around Astor's place and you will find one in a min.

I also have been looking for home-made type Japanese restaurants in Queens but I haven't found one yet.
I crave for Japanese food when I'm sick.

by chibi rate this post as useful

Japanese food in Queens? 2008/6/26 05:48
Ronjo, Mitsuo and Chibi

A very good question and sadly for the moment there is no good answer.

The only Japanese, fully owned, fully run restaurant I know of is on Metropolitan Ave in Forest Hills, sadly, because of its location and lack of customers, the food was not very fresh and oishikuni. So, I will not suggest it let alone give the name.

There is a Japanese supermarket near me, "Sakura-ya" in Forest Hills. I think I will ask the owners next time I go in if they know of some place. If I find out, I'll post the information.

Engeru.
by Engeru rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/26 05:59
Obviously Flushing is the place to go for authentic Korean and Chinese, but I haven't had much good Japanese food in Queens.

I have heard of a place called Ran, which you can google in Queens, but have heard mixed things about it. A few people I know have said that the food was great, others said it was not so good.

As some others have said, the best Japanese places in NYC are in the East Village and around Grand Central Station, places like Naniwa and Yodo, for example. Soba-ya on East 9th Street is very good, as is Onigashima in midtown.

by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

ariyoshi 2008/6/26 13:28
how about "ariyoshi"?
a Japanese restaurant for over 30 years in queens.

http://www.ariyoshiny.com/

and, here's list of Japanese (=washoku) restaurant in NY.(but in Japanese)
http://www.add7.net/newyork/washoku.htm
by calm rate this post as useful

There ain't much in Queens 2008/7/12 02:36
Tako Sushi over on Austin in Forest Hills used to be authentically Japanese a few years back when I went. I mean that as in I when I spoke they Japanese understood it and the counter staff was speaking it. I don't know about now.

There's also a really tiny little restaurant right next to the 112th Police Station that's runs by an old Japanese couple. The food is good/home-made. They also make spam musubi which is pretty hard to find outside of Hawaii.

I read a few weeks back in the Daily Sun an ad for Go Go Curry selling their Curry through a restaurant over in SunnySide, but I sadly forget the restaurant. And there's no mention about it on the Go-Go Curry website.
by NYCBunny rate this post as useful

Not Many In Queens 2008/7/23 23:44
I read the Japanese newspapers for recs and there seem to be about three listed in Astoria. Queens is better known for Korean, Cantonese & other cuisines. I hate to say this, because it's not helpful, you're much better off looking in Manhattan.
by NiceFunGuy rate this post as useful

:s 2008/7/25 04:50
I'm surprised that it's that hard to find an ''authentic'' Japanese restaurant in that area.

It almost makes me despair of finding one here in the greater Kansas City area. Just like there are no more good ''authentic'' Greek restaurants here. Almost because I've yet to find a local Nihonjin to ask. I hope to get be able to at the local Japan Festival next month.
by BWinc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread