Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR reservation abroad 2008/6/25 22:29
My girlfriend and I plan to visit Hokkaido in Aug 8-14 coincide with the Obon festival. We plan to use Japan Rail Pass taking a morning train from Tokyo to Hakodate then Sapporo and Furano. Since the traveling date is a peak period, is it advisable to make a train reservation before we arrive Japan? Where and how should we do it?
by newcomer  

... 2008/6/26 08:53
You should expect the trains out of Tokyo to be very packed on August 12, in particular. Maybe also August 9.

It is possible to make reservations online for the Tohoku Shinkansen, but not for the other trains:
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Reservation Error 2008/6/26 12:15
Thanks Uji.

I tried to make the online reservation for Tohoku Shinkansen but it prompted error ''There is an error in the boarding date specified. Please re-enter.'' My departure from Tokyo is 8th Aug. Can anyone tell me what's the problem.
by newcomer rate this post as useful

Travel 2008/6/26 12:18
Yeah, unfortunately only shinkansen reservations are available online and it's going to be really busy during that season. I don't know if it's possible for you but I'd just bite the bullet and delay your trip to Japan by a couple weeks. It'll make many aspects of your trip flow more smoothly.
by Dan rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/26 12:57
I tried to make the online reservation for Tohoku Shinkansen but it prompted error ''There is an error in the boarding date specified. Please re-enter.'' My departure from Tokyo is 8th Aug. Can anyone tell me what's the problem.

JR seat reservation tickets go on sale 1 month prior to the departure date. That's the reason why yu couldn't make it.

You might also consider flying back to Tokyo from Asahikawa or Sapporo on Skymark to save on travel time. Domestic air tickets go on sale 2 months prior to departure. It costs approx. 19k yen from Sapporo to Tokyo, say, on 20th August. The flight time is 1 hour 35 minutes.

http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/index.html
by optimistk rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/26 13:26
Unfortunately we are not able to change our traveling schedule to a later period. Does this mean even if I secure a Japan Rail Pass I may not able to get any train to Hokkaido on the 8th Aug? We plan to return to Tokyo on the 14th. Any other solution?

. 2008/6/26 13:46
Unfortunately we are not able to change our traveling schedule to a later period. Does this mean even if I secure a Japan Rail Pass I may not able to get any train to Hokkaido on the 8th Aug? We plan to return to Tokyo on the 14th. Any other solution?

You need to wait until 10am on 8th July Japanese time to book Shinkansen seats online for 8th August. You don't have to reschedule your trip at all.

Regarding air tickets from Sapporo to Tokyo on 14th, it will cost approx. 20k or more for one way. Cheapish fare tickets (17k) have already sold out.

If you'd like to save money, train it back to Tokyo again on the JR pass. The ticket goes on sale from 14th July.

. 2008/6/26 13:59
Thank you, was disappointed for a while but least I am able to proceed with the travel plan. A lot of good informatin that you guys had really help me to plan this trip. Again thank you

... 2008/6/28 09:14
Does this mean even if I secure a Japan Rail Pass I may not able to get any train to Hokkaido on the 8th Aug?

The morning of 8th of August is unlikely to be very busy. From around 4pm, however, you can expect trains to be extremely busy. You should be able to make reservations for trains in the morning relatively easily until a few days before departure day if not even on the day itself. That is just my guess. It could be wrong.

We plan to return to Tokyo on the 14th. Any other solution?

I don't think that August 14 will be exceptionally busy. Most people will have Obon hoildays through August 17, and August 16-17 will be the most busy days for the return peak.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/5 02:22
We will activate our JR Rail Pass on the date of arrival 8th Aug, for the train to Hokkaido and return to Tokyo on the 14th Aug, the last validity date for the Rail Pass. We would like to visit Kyoto on the 15th Aug traveling from Tokyo, any suggestion to get a discounted/cheaper fares on the Shinkansen?

. 2008/7/5 04:34
We will activate our JR Rail Pass on the date of arrival 8th Aug, for the train to Hokkaido and return to Tokyo on the 14th Aug, the last validity date for the Rail Pass. We would like to visit Kyoto on the 15th Aug traveling from Tokyo, any suggestion to get a discounted/cheaper fares on the Shinkansen?

Read the following clause regarding the last day rule of the JR pass.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html
Clause 5:

-Quote-
If you travel overnight on the last day your pass is valid, the basic fare will be covered as far as you travel, including train changes, until you first exit a station. However, surcharges are only covered for the train on which you were riding past midnight on the final day your pass was valid.
-Unquote-

If you try to leverage this rule, you could travel from Sappro to Kyoto with a reasonable surcharge on the 14th and the 15th.

1) Sappro 14:05--(overnight sleeper express Twilight Express)--12:15 Kyoto
Surcharge: 9,450 yen for sleeper berth use
This train may have been booked out by the time you arrive in Japan.

2) Sapporo 12:22--(Super Hokuto)--15:37 hakodate 15:42--(Super Hakucho)--17:37 Aomori 18:08--(Overnight sleeper limited express Akebono/ 'Goronto seat', a berth without pillow and blanket is free for a pass holder. If it's full you need to pay the 9,450 yen surcharge for a proper berth.)--6:58 Ueno--(Yamanote Line, 8 minutes)--Tokyo 8:03--(Hikari/ You have to pay limited express reservation surcharge of 5,440 yen)--10:48 Kyoto

3) Sapporo 10:37--(Super Hokuto)--13:50 Hakodate 13:54--(Super Hakucho)--16:45 Hachinohe 16:57--(Hayate)--20:08 Tokyo 22:00--(Overnight sleeper limited express Sunrise Seto-Izumo/ If you can book the 'Nobinobi seat' a carpeted full flat space, it's free, as you are a JR pass holder, otherwise the sleeper surcharge would cost 10,500 yen p.p.)--5:26 Himeji 5:47--(Special rapid)--6:34 Ashiya 6:38--(Rapid)--7:30 Kyoto

4) Sapporo 9:19--(Hokuto)--12:49 Hakodate 12:53--(Super Hakucho)--15:50 Hachinohe 16:06--(Hayate)--19:08 Tokyo 19:33--(Hikari)--22:14 Kyoto
No surcharge imposed on this route.

reply to this thread