Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 79

1 2 3 4
next

Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe-Tokyo 2008/7/3 03:00
Dear all,

We are on group tour at Osaka on 1st week of Sept and would like to do some extension on our own. Here are our concern :

1) We do not speak/understand Japanese. Issit hard for us to travel our own?

2) We would like to extend to Kyoto, Kobe & Tokyo. How many days are needed for each place and what are the must visit venues? For Kobe, is day trip sufficient?

3) What are the most visit places in Osaka?

4) We are planning to visit Himeji. Beside the castle, is there any must visit near that area?
by zenn  

Mt Fuji 2008/7/3 10:01
Forgotten to add that we would like to visit Mt Fuji too.

1) Issit necessary to stay over night at Mt Fuji?

2) Should we go travel from Osaka to Mt Fuji to Tokyo or Osaka to Tokyo to Mt Fuji?

Thanks!
by zenn rate this post as useful

sights 2008/7/3 11:50
For places to visit in Kobe, please see my posting on "Kobe at New Year?"

Himeji Castle is an easy day-trip from Kobe. If you don't want to walk to the castle from JR Himeji sta., you can ask for a free bike from the tourist info. centre on G/F of JR sta. north exit.

For Osaka, Osaka-jo is the top attraction. Other popular sights include Umeda Sky Bldg., Shinsaibashi and Doutoubori shopping district, Den Den Town, Tempo-zan Harbour Village and Kaiyukan Aquarium, and of course the unavoidable Universal Studios Japan (not for me). I myself enjoy the visit to Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum, see my posting on "Osaka - Where to go"

Don't worry about the language, people are very helpful. I don't speak Japanese yet I manage. Knowing how to read some Japanese characters will help though when there is nobody around to help you.
by William rate this post as useful

Top attractions of Japan in Kansai 2008/7/3 12:36
Tourist attractions in Kansai
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html

The Top selections of Japan's cultural and natural assets.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2251.html
by Ts rate this post as useful

More questions... 2008/7/3 13:48
Thanks william & TS!

Can I travel to Himeji Castle from Osaka?

For Kobe & Kyoto, is day trip sufficient or should we stay overnight?

Kobe and Kyoto 2008/7/3 14:27
Himeji is 1 hr direct JR from Osaka, Kobe is roughly halfway in between, 30 min direct JR from Osaka.

If you're really short of time, I suppose you can catch an early train from Osaka and visit Himeji Castle in the morning, then on your way back to Osaka, do Kobe in the afternoon. I wouldn't recommend it though because Kobe really deserve at least a day.

As for Kyoto, it deserves more days, if not weeks !

My schedule at Osaka 2008/7/3 14:57
Thanks william! Here is my schedule at Osaka. Need advise on how to fit in the extension :

Day 1 : Arrive at Osaka, transferred to Spa resort for relaxation. Spend half a day in resort and later in the afternoon, transfer to hotel for check in. Free day after that.

Day 2 : Option tour to either Kyoto Tour to visitNijo castle, Kinkakuji Temple, Golden Pavilion and Kiyomizu Temple OR Kobe farm & Sanden factory outlet

Day 3 : Meeting in the morning. F&E afternoon. Issit enough to cover Osaka itself? I am keen to go Umeda sky, Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum and shopping mall. Will skip Aquarium and Universal Studios.

Day 4 onward will be own extension : Kyoto (would like to go to Fushimi Inari shrine, Gon and some temples? Overnight at Kyoto

Day 5 : Kyoto

Day 6 : Bullet train to Hakone to Mt Fuji and overnight at Mt Fuji

Day 7 : Mt Fuji to Tokyo

Day 8 : Tokyo back home

Question :
1) which day should I go to Himeji?

2) if I am going for Kobe tour on day 2, issit necessary to go Kobe on my own again?

Thanks in advance!

Transportation 2008/7/3 15:08
sorry for so many questions but based on above itinerary, what kind of pass should I getting and how much would it cost? thanks!

I feel 2008/7/3 20:45
I feel your itinerary looks a bit packed even now and you might need to drop something to add other thing(s). But I also feel like having other advice.

Amended Itinerary 2008/7/3 23:29
How abt this? Issit workable?

Day 1 : Arrive at Osaka, transferred to Spa resort for relaxation. Spend half a day in resort and later in the afternoon, transfer to hotel for check in. Free day after that.

Day 2 : Kobe farm & Sanden factory outlet

Day 3 : Meeting in the morning. Stay at Osaka (Umeda sky, Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum and shopping mall like Shinsaibashi and Doutoubori shopping district. Will skip Aquarium and Universal Studios)

Day 4 : Train to Himeji castle in the morning and on the way back to Osaka, drop by The Meriken Park, the Maritime Museum whose bldg. and Kobe Earthquake Memorial Park at Kobe.

Day 5 : Train to Kyoto (Fushimi Inari shrine, Gon and some temples?) Should I go as day trip or overnight at Kyoto?

Day 6 : Bullet train to Hakone to Mt Fuji and overnight at Mt Fuji

Day 7 : Mt Fuji to Tokyo

Day 8 : Tokyo

Day 9 : Tokyo back home

I also need help for the following :
1) Based on above, what kind of pass should I get and how much does it cost?

2) Any recommendation of hotel in Osaka, Kyoto, Mt Fuji & Tokyo and roughly how much?

suggestions 2008/7/4 00:40
For the optional tour in Day 2, I would choose Kyoto. Farm visit is interesting, you can try milking cows and make your own dairy products like ice-cream. But doing it doesn't justify a "be there" visit in Kobe.

For Day 3, I don't quite understand what's meant by F&E afternoon. Does it mean you're free in the afternoon ! If so you can do the Ramen Museum in the afternoon but do note that it's closed on Tuesdays and it's opened only till 16.00 in the afternoon. The Umeda Sky Bldg. is opened till 22.00. For shopping and nightlife, go to the busy Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori district. But doing all 3 in just half a day is not what I would do. BTW what about Osaka-jo castle, I suppose it's included in the package tour, right !?

If you do choose the Kyoto optional tour in Day 2, on Day 4 you can do Himeji and Kobe as I'd previously suggested. The only difference is after Kobe, go directly to Kyoto. You may have to cut out some sights in Kobe. I would definitely go to the Port of Kobe Earthquake Memorial Park and the Kitano-cho district. Don't forget to try out Kobe Beef !

For a full Day 5 in Kyoto, apart from Gion and Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine (and those places you'd in the optional tour), I would suggest Ryoan-ji, Ginkaku-ji, Tetsugaku no Michi Philosopher's Walk, Nanzen-ji, Heian-jingu, Sanjusangen-do and To-ji. The list can go on and on, but for 1 day I think that is more than enough for you, if not too much !

A couple of things to note about Kyoto. Traffic can slow down your visit to various sights. It is quite an experience hiking up and down the tunnel of 10,000 red torii gates in Fushimi Inari, but it's a long walk so the least you can do is bring enough water. If you do go to Nanzen-ji, it's worth going to the nearby Okutan restaurant for lunch to try out the famous yudofu (tofu hot-pot) in the beautiful outdoor setting of Chosho-in garden. Expect a long queue or maybe your hotel can phone ahead to make a reservation for you. The restaurant is closed on Thursdays.

For Day 6 to Hakone, go to Odawara from Kyoto, buy a 3900 yen Hakone Free Pass which covers all kinds of transportation within the Hakone area. You just follow the classic round loop route which will bring you back to Odawara. (I'd been to some of the places there but I'm going back this Oct.)

How come you haven't allow any time for Tokyo ! You'd been there !?

As for expense in transportation, a JR 7 day rail pass costs 28300 yen. If you want to work out the cost of each journey, go to www.jnto.go.jp. Click on transportation and digital timetables and you can see the schedule and cost of your chosen journeys.

Good luck, have a pleasant and safe journey.

amendment 2008/7/4 00:51
I now read you've made amendment on your itinerary. My "suggestions" is for your first listed itinerary, so as not to confuse things.

which hotel to stay in tokyo 2008/7/4 02:47
hi, which hotel should i consider in Tokyo, if i do not want to spend too much.. Preferably less than SGD120. Also, hopefully it's near the shopping districts, and the popular tourist hangouts, rainbow bridge,etc. From what i know, Tokyo Inn is pretty decent. ANy comments??
by ABCD rate this post as useful

Tokyo hotels 2008/7/4 07:07
to ABCD

Toyoko Inn in Ikebukuro, 9240 yen, breakfast included, 8 min walk from Ikebukuro subway sta. C10 exit
www.toyoko-inn.com

Ikebukuro is one of the most popular shopping districts in Tokyo.

Hotels in Odaiba across the Rainbow Bridge are all high-end hotels, very expensive !

JR Pass 2008/7/5 00:03
Can I check can I use the 7days JR for following :

1) transfer from Kansai airport to Osaka hotel?

2) bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo?

Thanks!

yes 2008/7/5 00:07
One way fare from KIX - Osaka - Tokyo to NRT is less than 20,000yen

... 2008/7/5 00:11
I mean by JR XD

Confused 2008/7/5 00:47
what is the diff btw 7days JR pass and JR XD? What is the usage for each then?

JR's JR Pass :P 2008/7/5 00:54
Japan Railway and its economical Railpass, JR Pass :P
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Hotel Transfer 2008/7/5 01:20
Thanks TS!

For hotel transfer in Osaka, issit more convenient to travel using JR or Limousine?

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 79

1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread