Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to visit in December 2008/7/4 18:39
Will be travelleing with my two young kids to Japan in 1st week December for two weeks. We will be flying to Tokyo, and plan to go to Hokkaido a few days for skiing. Niseko, most likely. We have been to Hokkaido during summer two years ago. Visited Hakodate, Sapporo, Lake Toya,Furano, Ashahikawa before. If these place do not have special event or especially scenic during winter, we may give it a miss this time. Except for Hakkodate and Sapporo due to transit because we will be travelling by JR as my children enjoy the long train ride from tokyo to Hakkaido. We plan to stay about 5- 6 days in Hokkaido and the rest around Tokyo or other region. Can someone advise where else should we visit around in Japan and Hakkaido during early Dec. We do not mind going to other places like Yokohama which will only only take less than two hours train ride. Heard there is a aquarium there? Thank you.
by may  

... 2008/7/5 10:40
In December you can see and do pretty much everything that you can see and do also in other months except hiking in northern Japan and the higher mountains. Here are some suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

suggestions 2008/7/5 13:52
Two winter events in Hokkaido that may interest you:
1. White Illumination in Sapporo, tens of thousands of festive lights lit the main street infront of JR station, 16.00-22.00, mid. Nov. to mid. Feb.
2. March of the Penguins in Asahiyawa Zoo in Asahikawa, close encounter with king penguins in the open daily at 11.10 and 14.30, mid. Dec. to end of Mar.

For kids, esp. fans of Anime and Manga cartoon characters:
1. Mangatten Museum in Ishinomaki near Sendai in N. Honshu, you can ride the special 30 min JR cartoon Manga Town Liner from Sendai to Ishinomaki, the street leading from JR station to the waterfront museum is lined with cartoon characters on either side, the spaceship-like museum is opened 9.00-17.00, closed on Tue.
2. Anpanman Gallery in Yokohama, museum and playland of the cartoon character Anpanman, 10.00-20.00
3. In Tokyo: Pokemon Centre in Shiodome, Tokyo Anime Centre in Akihabara, Kidzania in Urban Dock Lalaport Toyosu, Tokyo Character Street beneath JR Tokyo station, Hakuhinkan Toy Park in Ginza, Kiddyland in Harajuku, Palette Town in Odaiba, Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, Sanrio Poroland and the unavoidable Disneyland and DisneySea
by William rate this post as useful

Otaru 2008/7/5 15:53
Thought about staying in Otaru ?
About a 30' commute to Sapporo with very regular trains. The Niseko ski express stops there as well....twice a day each way.
The Hilton Otaru does a great winter special room rate, it is in a building with a shopping plaza attached and is completely under cover when walking to/from the station until the shops close. Thereafter you have to brave the snow and ice for about 400 metres.
You can get a room with an ocean view. I have stopped there twice now and can absolutely recommend it.
The station is Otaruchikko, it is about 6' from Otaru main station.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Where to visit in Decembe 2008/7/8 11:12
Thanks all, any other suggestions where around on the way from Tokyo to Hokkaido worth visting?
by May rate this post as useful

suggestions 2008/7/8 22:02
Hiraizumi has beautiful Motsu-ji and Chuson-ji with Konjiki-do which is Japan's first designated National Treasure. Also Hiraizumi serves as a good base for going to impressive Geibikei and Gembikei Gorge.

Sendai as a base for Matsushima and Yama-dera.

Kitakata is worth a visit for its ramen and kura storehouses.

Aizu-Wakamatsu has a couple of sights if you're interest in some samurai history.

Zao-san onsen, esp. Ginzan which is beautiful when there is snow.

Nikko and Chuzenji-ko
by William rate this post as useful

Suggestions? 2008/8/17 23:38
Hi May,

I am planning on a similar trip during December as well. Can I know whats your plan for reference?

Thanks~!

by Adrian rate this post as useful

Adrian 2008/8/22 11:53
Mine is still in WIP but I think most likely will be the following, hope it helps. But please note that I have been to Hokkaido two years ago in summer, so I am skipping some places I had been the last time like, Lake Toya, Furno, Biei, Daisetsu-zan, etc. These are beautiful place which one should not miss too. After this visit, the next will be going to Akan and further north area, not covering this round as my younger one is too young, a bit difficult to travel so far with him.
Day 1 - Tokyo
Day 2 - Tokyo - day visit to Disney
Day 3 - Tokyo - day visit to Yokohama
Day 4 - Tokyo- day visit to Hakone
Day 5 - Tokyo to Hakodate (via train)
Day 6 - Hakodate to Sapporo
Day 7 - Day visit - Otaru
Day 8 - Day visit - Asahikawa Zoo
Day 9 - Sapporo to Niseko (stay in Niseko)
Day 10 - Ski in Niskeo
Day 11 - Niseko back to Sapporo
Day 12 - Sapporo back to Tokyo
Day 13 - Tokyo (shopping)
Day 14 - Home

And, we will be using JR pass via train because we love trains. If you are not a train fan, plane will be easier and faster.

,,, 2008/8/22 11:59
And...will appreciate comments from the kind people in the forum. Especially recommedation on accomdations in Niseko Hirafu..am still scanning through snowjapan web, skijapan web, etc..This place is huge and with so many choices...But my budget is only Y$18000 for triple room, so really hard.

Thank you.

reply to this thread