Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days in Tohoku and/or Hokuriku? 2008/7/6 03:53
I plan to spend 14 days in Japan this fall. Should I spend all 14 days in Tohoku region (i.e. are there enough unique sights there) or should I split the days between Tohoku and Hokuriku regions (particularly Kanazawa)?
by Pook  

... 2008/7/7 10:01
The Tohoku has no must-see attractions. It is a nice destination for travelers who have been to Japan many times before and wish to go off the beaten track. Or for those looking to immerse themselves into Japanese countryside for a while.

But for the average mainstream tourist, two weeks Tohoku is too long, especially in case that you have not seen other parts of the country.
by Uji rate this post as useful

So Hokuriku or Hokkaido? 2008/7/7 11:58
Thanks, Uji. I've been to Japan several times and have seen most of the major sights, including Tokyo, Kyoto, and many of the western Honshu and northern Kyushu areas. So in addition to Tohoku, would you recommend Hokkaido instead of Hokuriku? FYI - I plan to travel in late October-early November.
by Pook rate this post as useful

Hokuriku vs. Hokkaido 2008/7/7 13:48
I haven't spent time in Hokuriku but have been to many other regions - the comparison between the two in my mind would be, that Hokkaido has extensive natural beauty and lots of wide open spaces, but since it was developed fairly recently, it's not got that 'old' feel to it. I like Sapporo, and Otaru is cute & quaint, but the rest of the charm lies in nature. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd go there. One thought is that I believe it's a bit harder to get around - I'm not sure because I drove.
I loved Tohoku though I spent a very short time - four days - there. Stayed at a couple of onsen and also in Kakunodate, which I liked a lot. Yamadera is worth a look and I think Hirosaki would be great though I didn't have time to go.
For me, Hokuriku would be a great attraction because I've never been over to that side and would love to visit Kanazawa. I've always wanted to spend some time on the Noto peninsula, and though it's not really Hokuriku, I've always wanted to visit Sado Island as well. My choice would be Hokuriku but of course that's just me.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/7 16:49
I think it depends on personal interest. The Tohoku guide on japan-guide.com need some improvement, but it introduces some of the highlights:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1102.html

Other regions are introduced here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1001.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shirakami Mtns and Rikuchu Coast 2008/7/8 08:59
Thanks for the insight, Spendthrift. I have Kakunodate on my itinerary, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm also planning on Towada-ko, but still undecided about Shirakami Mtns as well as the train ride along the Rikuchu coast. Are they worth it?
by Pook rate this post as useful

Tohoku 2008/7/8 09:21
some suggestions:

Hiraizumi has beautiful Motsu-ji and Chuson-ji with Konjiki-do which is Japan's first designated National Treasure. Also Hiraizumi serves as a good base for going to impressive Geibikei and Gembikei Gorge.

Sendai as a base for Matsushima and Yama-dera.

Kitakata is worth a visit for its ramen and kura storehouses.

Aizu-Wakamatsu has a couple of sights if you're interest in some samurai history.
by William rate this post as useful

reply to this thread