Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about Seat Reservations 2008/7/7 13:09
Hello there,

I'm using the JR Pass, and I have a few questions..

For Shinkansen
1) When should I reserve the Shinkansen seats? A day before? Two days before? Or on that day itself - will it be too late?

2) If it's reserved a day or two days before, when will I get the reserved tickets? Do they give you immediately on the station where you're reserving at?

For normal trains
1) Is it advisable to reserve tickets whenever I see ''Reserved Seat''s appearing on the timetable by Hyperdia?

All trains:
1) If you reserve on that day itself when you arrive at the station, do you always get seats?

Lastly, do I have to pay the cancellation fees?

Thank you so much!
by Cub  

Seat reservations 2008/7/7 13:39
Cub,

For Shinkansen
1) When should I reserve the Shinkansen seats? A day before? Two days before? Or on that day itself - will it be too late?

It depends on when you are travelling. In many (most) cases, it is possible to reserve seats right up until the time of departure, but in busy seasons, seats may be sold out several weeks ahead.

2) If it's reserved a day or two days before, when will I get the reserved tickets? Do they give you immediately on the station where you're reserving at?

You get the seat reservations there and then when you make the reservations.

For normal trains
1) Is it advisable to reserve tickets whenever I see ''Reserved Seat''s appearing on the timetable by Hyperdia?

Again, it depends on when you are travelling and how many people you are travelling with (if you all want to sit together). Since seat reservations are free with the railpass, if you know your schedule, it is a good idea to reserve in advance.

All trains:
1) If you reserve on that day itself when you arrive at the station, do you always get seats?

A seat reservation guarantees you a seat (unless it is a "standing reservation" on the Narita Express and Hayate shinkansen). If no seats are available, you cannot get a seat reservation.

Lastly, do I have to pay the cancellation fees?

No. But please don't abuse the system, as, if too many people with the railpass make free reservations knowing that they probably won't be able to use them, it is quite foreseeable that JR will restrict or abolish the free reservation option - as has happened with other similar free tickets in the past.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/7/8 08:56
Thanks Dave!

Yup, I'll make sure of it all. Thank you so much!
by Cub rate this post as useful

reply to this thread