Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

non-reserved seats available? 2008/7/8 05:27
Hello,

I'm using hyperdia.com to estimate travel costs/find the cheapest travel options.

From Tokyo to Kyoto (on August 8 at 9AM)the fare is 7980y but there is a surcharge of 5740y. There is also a surcharge of 5540y on top of the 8510y fare from Osaka to Tokyo (August 8 at 9AM).

Are there non-reserved seated trains available for these trips? Or maybe at a time earlier or later in the day?

Thank you again for any advice/thoughts you may have.
by japansummer2008  

... 2008/7/8 08:58
From Tokyo to Kyoto (on August 8 at 9AM)the fare is 7980y but there is a surcharge of 5740y. There is also a surcharge of 5540y on top of the 8510y fare from Osaka to Tokyo (August 8 at 9AM).

If you travel by shinkansen, there will always be an express surcharge, whether you travel by reserved or unreserved seat. The surcharge is about 500 yen cheaper if you travel by unreserved seat.

All trains along the Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo - Nagoya - Kyoto - Osaka) have a few cars with non reserved seats, however, depending on the date, time and boarding station, all seats might be taken.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hyperdia.com English 2008/7/8 09:16
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

I just looked and the train is not yet full(Nozomi 113). It's still gonna cost you at least 12710 and you may be standing all the way. The difference in cost between the reserved and un-reserved from Tokyo to Kyoto on the Shink. in 1010. That whole thing with the fare and the charge can be very confusing and I have never understood it but basically as far as I'm aware there is no avoiding the "charge" it is part of the cost.
by EQuinn rate this post as useful

not / 2008/7/8 09:19
the reserved cost here is 1010

Hey my yen sign doesn't work.. 2008/7/8 09:22
Anyway as I'm sure you can tell I'm Sooo busy at work...
Anyway 1010yen is the difference.

reply to this thread