Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling alone when a minor... 2008/7/8 15:22
Hi ive been wanting to go to Japan for a long time and iam 14, can i travel alone from the US to Japan? And If I can what kind of hotels etc would I need to set up?

thanks!
by Alex  

minor alone 2008/7/8 15:49
No you can't! I think that you can travel as unaccompanied minor (with a tag around your neck) but an adult designated by your parents must be waiting for you at the airport with special papers (or is it only for domestic travel?) No hotel,apartment owner etc. even in the USA, would rent to a 14 years old.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

No 2008/7/8 16:39
No you can't. Hotels wouldn't check you in and you're not old enough to do anything anyways.

What's the rush, just wait a few years... When you say that you've waited a long time, you're talking something like a few months right? If anything, go find an adult to come along with you.
by Danny rate this post as useful

Just wait 2008/7/8 16:48
Like the others said, 14 is too young. Are you learning Japanese? knowing some basic Japanese, Hiragana, Katakana, and some kanji would be really useful when buying lunches and such. I would wait until at least 16. I am 16 right now, if I could my parents would be alright letting me go alone but its not exactly the smartest thing to do if your not used to traveling alone. for that reason, my first trip will be with a school group this spring so I can get an idea how it will be like. I highly suggest giving yourself a year or so to learn some Japanese, if your really interested. And just a heads up, Japan isn't going to be what you see in t.v, manga, or anime. no ninjas and samurais, although you can see some things about them.
by Aaron rate this post as useful

Can you afford it? 2008/7/8 22:19
Do you have enough money? Start saving for the Japan, and when you have saved enough, you'll probably be old enough to go alone. Money doesn't grow on trees.
by Rocky rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/8 22:54
Alex san :)

Why do you wanna visit Japan? Because we produce Toyota cars and Nintendo video games?? XD Yes, we do it!! :D At the same time, Japan is and will be an open country and I'm sure you can visit JAPAN when you come to an age. Before visiting Japan, study some Japanese language so that you can make the most of your time here :)

http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/lesson01.cfm
by ‚s‚“ rate this post as useful

just to let you know 2008/7/9 01:32
A 14 year old local Japanese can travel alone within Japan for days with the permission of his/her guardian such as a letter from a parent. Many have done it. But I don't know about U.S. citizens.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/9 09:16
Children as young as 5 can travel as unaccompanied minors on international flights. However you must participate in the airline's Unaccompanied Minor Service which costs an extra fee and requires an adult to hand you off to airline personnel at the departure airport and an adult to receive you at the destination airport. The time period in between the airline will be responsible for you. So yes, you could theoretically travel alone but you would need someone to meet you at the airport in Japan.

Some airlines don't have this requirement if you are 15-17 and you can travel entirely by yourself, however, you cannot purchase your tickets and would need a parent or guardian to do so for you.

Legally, a minor apparently is allowed to travel alone to foreign countries if their parents provide them with a notarized affidavit stating that they allow it.

So the short answer is yes, you could theoretically travel alone. In reality however, it would require that your parents work with you at every step of the way until you board the plane, along with the cooperation of someone in Japan who would take responsibility for you while you are there. Although the situation probably exists, I find it very unlikely that:

a) Your parents would support your plans

and

b) You'd be able to find someone in Japan to receive you and then turn you loose to travel alone, while taking full responsibility and liability for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/9 09:17
I forgot some links.

an example of an unaccompanied minor program:

http://www.nwa.com/services/onboard/minor/UM_Brochure.pdf

Some info on legal documents needed:

http://www.jmtravel.com/authorization_minor_travel.htm
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Alex 2008/7/10 00:40
Alex,

you are going to have problems getting into japan. it's unlikely the airline will let you get on the plane. once you get to narita, it's unlikely customs will let you through even if you have a notarized letter of permission from your parents or guardians.

lastly, it's unlikely a hotel or hostel will allow you to stay. the only exception i can think of is if a staff member fears for your wellbeing and takes you in for the sole purpose of making sure you get sent back home.

i understand you may want to come to japan very badly, and i also remember being 14 - it was not that long ago for me. my suggestion would be to wait 2 years and come here through your high school on an exchange program.

in the mean time study japanese. don't stick just to garbage like naruto or other stuff like that, you'll be sorely disappointed when you get here if you think that's what japan is all about. consider learning kendo or judo - you may be able to come to japan on a yearly basis through your martial arts club in addition to your high school.

finally: don't try to sneak out of the U.S. no matter what. Just stick around for another year or two and come with your school or with a martial arts club. by the time you are 16 you will still be very young but you will face less resistance to traveling alone. by the time you're 18 you will have no problems at all.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread