Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

whats a good animation school in japan 2008/7/10 10:02
hello im planning on becoming a graphics designer you kno work on animes stuff like that animation im currently working on a anime project sending it to a nicktoon contest so wish me luck hopefully i win =] ha well does anyone know which school are good for animation and how much does it cost to live over there, i hear its expansive =] a small room would be good one person bedroom how much would that go for?
by yozka  

language abilities? 2008/7/10 11:06
Do you speak and read Japanese? Native level Japanese would be needed to get into an animation school in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

yes 2008/7/10 11:29
well not at the moment but i will that wont be a problem
by yozka rate this post as useful

perhaps not that easy 2008/7/10 11:55
As someone who has spent more than 10 years learning Japanese, I can assure you that it won't be anything like as easy as you think to become fluent, especially if you are not in Japan. Start studying as soon as possible.
by Sira rate this post as useful

i know its not easy 2008/7/10 12:29
im not planning on getting the language down anytime soon ive been studying it for months now and i know im not fluent yet but i just wanna know about animation schools and how much it would cost to live there
by yozka rate this post as useful

depends 2008/7/11 04:22
can't help you out with animation schools. don't know. my girlfriend goes to tokyo university of the arts, it's a famous art school. it's expensive. you have to speak japanese to get in.

living can be cheap or expensive depending on how you live. if you live in central tokyo look to spend about 700-1300usd a month for an apartment plus utilities which is another 100 per month. also remember you probably can't even get an apartment here unless you have a guarantor or pay a lot of money up front. you also have to sign a contract at most places to live there for 1 or 2 years.

you are only one of the thousands of young people with pipe dreams of becoming an animator (which by the way pays terribly, animators are frequently the butt of jokes here). plus the fact it's an industry primarily controlled by japanese males; you're going to face stiff resistance/xenophobia if you try to enter the industry.

learn to speak japanese as a start. then start researching whether becoming an animator is something that's actually realistic. fantasy is great and all but don't show up here with high hopes. you could just as easily learn to draw anime back at home for a lot cheaper. sorry to be harsh but liking anime is not a great reason to move to japan.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread