Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass 2008/7/12 05:42
I was wondering if I were to buy a JR Pass:

1) I can use it anywhere in japan such as JR East JR West?
if so do i have to present my pass to the ticket off to go through? or can i use it like a suica?

2) I can use on many Shinkanse's apart from Nozomi?
how do i get the tickets? do i present the JR pass to the office in exchange for the tickets?

3) Can i use it on subways?
because in Tokyo the JR suica can be used in subways too?

It would great if anyone could answer these

Thank You!
by Silver  

... 2008/7/13 07:33
I can use it anywhere in japan such as JR East JR West?

On trains of all JR companies. It is described here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

if so do i have to present my pass to the ticket off to go through?

You have to go through the manned gate (see link above).

I can use on many Shinkanse's apart from Nozomi?

Any shinkansen except nozomi (see link above).

how do i get the tickets? do i present the JR pass to the office in exchange for the tickets?

You pass is you ticket! For making seat reservations, go to any JR ticket counter.

3) Can i use it on subways?

No! Only JR trains.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR pass worked 2008/7/13 10:51
I was in Japan aug/sept last year and the JR pass worked on the JR subways in Tokyo. Just show it to the guard at the ticket gate.
by Jan Thomas rate this post as useful

Just to clarify 2008/7/13 11:08
In Japan (or Tokyo at least, where I am) we make the distinction between (1) JR trains, (2) Metro subways, and (3) private railway companies (above ground).

JR Pass works on (1), which in terms of train LINES include: Yamanote Line, Chuo Line, Sobu Line, Saikyo Line, etc. (This may be what the poster above me referred to as "JR subway" - but normally we don't call it that.)

JR Pass does not work on (2), which includes Marunouchi Line, Yurakucho LIne, etc. all the underground subways, and (3), which includes Tobu Line, Seibu Line, etc., owned by railway companies other than JR.
by ... rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/13 21:00
How to distingish the JR lines from other private railways.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

The JR pass isn't also applicable to Tokyo Metro and Toei ( Metropolitan ) Subway Lines.

JR Line network in greater Tokyo Area.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf
The JR pass is applicable to all of these lines.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

JR subways? 2008/7/13 21:08
I winder which JR lines Jan Thomas is thinking of when he/she says "JR subways"? The only JR line in Tokyo I can think of that runs underground at all is the NEX/Yokosuka/Sobu rapid line, which does go underground for a few stations near Tokyo station. As above though, we only consider the Tokyo Metro and Toei subway lines to actually be subways, JR lines are considered to be above ground trains.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/13 21:26
Often times people confuse the terminology of "subway". Many people who might not be familiar with transit systems in Japan or elsewhere will call all modes of rapid transit trains "subways trains" even if it doesn't run underground.

Even the new york city "subway" almost half of the system runs above ground.

Like in London, the "Underground" is what people call it, but someone not familiar will just say "subway" as a generic term. Or Chicago where trains are Elevated "thus the EL" generic term people would still use "subway".

I never liked the term "subway" and prefer the term "metro" as used by some cities like Paris, Washington DC etc.

Anyway, it can get confusing to those who aren't familiar with public transit, or the numerous number of train companies in Japan and Tokyo.

Generally speaking, Subways are Tokyo Metro and Toei in Tokyo. Even things like the Ginza line at Shibuya station which is above ground is part of the "subway network".

JR and all other non Tokyo Metro/Toei trains, be it they run above ground or underground are not "subways" , aka the Rinkai line, runs almost entirely underground but is not part of the "Subway" network.

Confusing I know, in short JR is not part of any "subway" network in any city.
by John rate this post as useful

Need help in deciphering map~ 2008/7/14 02:48
Hello!

May I know what's the name of the JR train station mentioned in the yellow box on this map?

http://www.putumayo-home.com/shop/07aguMAP.jpg

Thank you in advance!
by Cub rate this post as useful

harajuku 2008/7/14 03:01
the station is JR Harajuku station
by William rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2008/7/14 04:23
Thank you so much, William!
by Cub rate this post as useful

reply to this thread