Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning 1st trip to Japan 2008/7/14 09:45
Planning 1st trip to japan, probably 2009 or 2010. Some basic questions to start.

We want to get a good overview of as much as possible as we like to travel to new places, so probably won't be back.

We aren't really ''tour'' type people, but don't know the language or anything much at all - is it best to look at a basic tour package, or is it easy enough to plan ourselves and navigate ourselves? I don't want to stress about anything - just want to enjoy as much as possible.

I looked at 'inside Japan'' tours a few years ago and liked what I found, but never compared to other tour companies. Anyone know of them or have suggestions?

Time of year - spring/fall is what I'm getting is the best - either Cherry Blossoms or leaves. Easy enough to hit at the right time, or is that more based on luck?

We are thinking of about 1.5 weeks - is that enough?

Thanks! Any else you think we need to know to start planning is appreciated!
by nhawk  

... 2008/7/14 10:34
Honestly, personal opinion here, I'd avoid tour packages. They tend to be way over priced. Also, one day you could wake up and say 'hey, I just want to sit in a garden for a few hours and read a book'. If you've already paid for a tour package, you're going to go even if you don't want to, and it makes everything a little less enjoyable.

The upside, however, is already having all the places laid out, and not having to plan anything.

If I wasn't leaving for another year or two, I'd just spend a little time each week looking up things I enjoyed and slowly forming a plan.

Also, if you can, I'd stay for a full two weeks if this is going to be your first and only trip to Japan.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.
by .. rate this post as useful

General tips 2008/7/15 11:16
First, get a Japan Rail Pass, it can make travel much more flexible and inexpensive. Overall, cover a broad area. Japan is California sized, and varied, and you are more likely to enjoy your stay. Many people make the mistake of selecting one specific area. Train travel is convenient enough that you won't need a tour.

Japanese have all learned English at the middle and high school levels, but most have rarely used it, and will understand more than they can speak. In friendlier areas, some people will be anxious to practice.

Most would agree than Spring and Fall are the best times--though winter destinations are becoming more popular. Fall colors can last a long time, but cherry blossoms are short lived.

by Inago rate this post as useful

Most modern Japanese know English 2008/7/15 11:24
I don't think you will have a problem with people understanding what you say, like the person above most "modern" japanese who are teenaged or college aged know a little if not decent english since it's required in middle and high school.

Also I would plan on going where you mostly enjoy, Tokyo and Chiba are more industrialized from what I here, while places like Okinawa and such are more tropical, while places like Kyoto have many traditional settings like Shrines or Temples.

It all depends "what part" of the Japanese culture you want to embrace, if not all.
by Brian rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/7/16 07:55
Thank you - we are definitely interested in seeing as much as possible. We are very interested in the "old" parts - kyoto, etc. while also wanting to at least experience Tokyo. My husband has a strong interest in their culture and martial arts like kendo too.

Thanks for the advice, look forward to learning more!
by nhawk rate this post as useful

planning 2008/7/16 11:10
I would suggest that you grab a book like Lonely Planet Japan and formulate a plan from that.
You can work out your train travel arrangements from a site like this http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
those two combined with a good Japanese map book and the use this site and other resources will go a long way to making your trip more enjoyable. I have been five times now for a total of 14 weeks and have barely made a dent on the possible things to do.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Autumn 2008/7/17 01:07
Although the cherry-blossom season is really beautiful, the downside of this season is, that most trees still don't have any leaves, which makes the scenery look grey and a little dull. It's also difficult to predict when the cherries will blossom, it all depends on the temperature and rainfall in februari and march. Autumn is a little bit easier to predict, because there are more maple trees than cherry trees and the red leave season takes longer (a cherry tree can loose it's blossom within a couple of days if there is rain and wind). In other words, it all depends on how much luck you have! The best chance to see the cherry blossom is to book a last minute flight (that's what I've done after 2 trips to Japan without any cherry blossoms!) and stay in the Kyoto area (many places of interest with cherry trees and a very nice city)
by Bjorn rate this post as useful

me again 2008/7/17 01:15
1,5 week is just enough to get a little impression of Japan, but long enough to love or to hate Japan, I mean, Japan is so different compared to other (Asian) countries, some people are really disappointed after their first trip and some (like me!) keep on going back to Japan (12 times since 1993) because it's so different and it changes constantly!
by Bjorn rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/7/17 05:23
The first time I visited Japan my friend(Japanese born) brought me to the Kansai. This is a very interesting area, with a variety of landscapes and several fascinating towns: Kyoto and Nara, both old capitals with a great number of temples and shrines, Kobe, with foreign touches, Himeji, and its amazing castle, and Osaka with both old quaint districts and superlative shopping. There is actually lots more to Kansai than the above. Going there is the perfect introduction to old and brand new Japan.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/7/17 08:09
Thank you -great things to look into that I wouldn't have thought of!
by nhawk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread