Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

pasmo commuter pass question 2008/7/15 15:29
Hello,

about 4 days ago I bought a Pasmo commuter pass for 1 month to Shinjuku on Keio lines. I change trains once.
I also charged my Pasmo with 5000 Yen.
When I go from Shinjuku to my station everything works fine. But in the morning when I exit at the Shinjuku station 130 Yen are deducted from my Pasmo and I don't understand why. I only use local trains, so no rapid or express train.
Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
by student  

. 2008/7/15 21:42
On the Keio Line rapid trains, express trains cost the same as Local trains.

The first question is, are you sure you purchased a commuter pass?

Eg does it look something like this:
http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/pasmo/i/type_05.gif
With writing all over it, or just plain like this:
http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/pasmo/i/type_01.gif

--------
If it is the first card then you are ok.

The second reason I can figure is that when you're exiting Shinjuku Station, are you using the actual EXIT or actually exiting through the JR Transfer Gates, there should be big signs that say "NOT EXIT" "JR TRANSFER GATE", thats one possible reason I can think why you're being charged.
It can be easy to get confused as many people continue from KEIO Trains to JR Trains via the TRANSFER GATE, instead of using the actual exit. Since this part does cost 130yen (base JR fare) I think this MIGHT be one reason. Though without knowing more details I can't be for sure.
by John rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/7/15 22:02
Thank you for your answer!

I'm sure that it's a commuter pass. There's also a print on it like the first picture you posted.
I also thought about the possibility that I might use the wrong exit. Tomorrow I will try another exit and hopefully that's the reason.
by student rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/15 22:17
Yes make sure it is marked "EXIT" instead of "TRANSFER GATE".

Do you pass through 2 different gates when you leave Shinjuku Station when it charges 130?
by John rate this post as useful

it worked 2008/7/16 13:14
I tried another exit today and it worked.
And I went back to the exit where it didn't work and looked at the sign but it was a normal exit. At least it looked like one to me.

And I pass through one gate when I leave Shinjuku Station, not two. I have no idea why it doesn't work.
So I'll just use the exit where it works.

Thank you for your help!
by student rate this post as useful

reply to this thread