Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

WWOOFing Questions 2008/7/15 15:55
Hello everyone this is my first post here! I've made one 30 day trip to Japan last year and I'm now looking into WWOOFing in order to return. The rules suggest you will not be paid by your host however a few accounts, one of which is posted on this site, suggested that the host paid them. How likely is this to happen? The rules are WRITTEN to keep WWOOF legal I'm sure but I'm curious how likely they are to be broken.

Second on the will they break the rules list is if you communicate with them before coming over, which must be done anyway, is there a chance they will help you with your visa? The rules state no but again I've heard a few accounts about this that they were broken.

Lastly if you are accepted for a cultural learning visa is it longer lasting than a standard tourist visa?

Thank you everyone!
by ureshiimaikeru  

. 2008/7/15 21:34
Rules are more like laws. If you get paid, then you're working for money and that would be illegal.

Most of the WWOOF "hosts?" I guess you can say, are mom and pop outfits out there in the countryside, I highly doubt they have the means to sponsor Visas if they wanted to. Usually those who can sponsor visas are those certified by the Government. Eg. Companies, schools, etc.

Cultural Visas usually last longer then standard Temporary Visitors permit, but the likelihood of getting for wwoof is pretty nil for the aforementioned reason.
by John rate this post as useful

hmm 2008/7/16 01:11
Yes I understand why the rules are in place. But like I've said I've heard several accounts suggesting people have been paid as well as people have been helped with Visas. One of which is from this very site found here

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/expreadisplay.html?aID=1000...

The WWOOFing guide suggest you will never be treated as "cheap labor".. I wouldn't mind being cheap labor. :p
by ureshiimaikeru rate this post as useful

no 2008/7/16 06:09
no woof host is going to help you out with your visa, except for possibly a cultural activities visa. the only case i can think of that happening is if you got along very well with your hosts, and you all agreed to come back and study with them whatever it was you were doing. there are a very limited number of jobs that would enable you to get that type of visa, it would have to be some kind of special farming method, or martial arts school, etc.

as for payment it depends on what visa you come on. if you have a working holiday visa then you are entitled to work. a woof host might decide to pay you for your work.

you'd most likely find increasing responsibilities once you start getting paid. the rate of pay is generally a LOT worse than teaching english.

be very careful of woof hosts that want to pay you. i got stuck at a host working horrendous hours for terrible pay with no holidays for over a month. that sucked big time. that host was in major breach of wwoof rules. that's not to say this will always happen, but be careful of people who want to exploit you, and always have a back up plan in case your woof host goes all to hell - travel light so you can get out of there quickly and find new accommodation if needed.

hope this helps
(former wwoofer from touhoku)
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread