Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary and travel 2008/7/15 20:32
Hi guys,
We have about 10 days in Japan and would like to cover the Kyoto and the local region. We have been to Tokyo before so would like to see a different region. We have chopped and changed an itinerary from this wonderful website and would like imput on practicality of what we propose and logistics of train timetables etc.
Thanks for any imput on any aspect:

Days 1-4 Kyoto. Arrive KIX @ 9.00 pm. By the time we clear customs etc and train (if they are still running) to Kyoto it will be 11.00pm day 1.
Staying @ Granvia Hotel
Day 5 & 6 Travel to Nara, via Uji.
Staying 2 nights @ Nara Hotel
Day 7 travel to Himeji. We would like to arrive early and spend night here. Any recommendations on accom?

Day 8 & 9 Travel to Miyajima for 2 nights @ Momiji-so
Day 10 Depart KIX @ 10.00pm
This is planned for the last days of August. Would we better with a JR pass? Any suggestions appreciated.
by Mundi  

itinerary 2008/7/18 23:47
Hi! I recommend Nikko Himeji as a city hotel and Shiosai Kirara shokichi as hotsprings(onsen) hotel within 45minutes by train and taxi.
URL.. http://www.ako-syokichi.com/

As for JR pass I think price is not change very much even if you do not buy it even if you buy it.
by mackey rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/19 02:21
I would suggest that you stay one night in Osaka instead of trying to get to Kyoto. especially if your plane might arrive late. Even

if your plane lands at 9.00 pm, by the time the plane has got to the gate and you have cleared immigration and customs it is going

to be 9.45-10.00 pm The last direct train to Kyoto is 10.16 pm and arrives 11.32 pm.

I would suggest you take the Nankai line to Namba and stay there the night. The last two Nankai Limited Express Rapit trains are

at 9.59 and 10.30 pm. There are a further 3 Nankai Airport Line Express trains at 10.35, 11.14 and 11.30 pm.

The Hotel Swissôtel Nankai is right next to Nanba terminal train station. The next day I would go to Nara, as trains run directly

from the nearby Kintetsu Namba station to Kintetsu Nara.

If you did get the 7 Day JR Rail Pass you can use it to go from Nara to Kyoto (3 nights), Himeji, (1 night) and Miyajima (2

nights) and then use it to return to Kansai Airport. I would point out that the standard pass would be 2000 Yen more than

individual tickets. Using this route will also save you a couple of hours of traveling.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/19 02:25
Sorry the above text is a bit of a mess, I pasted it from Notepad and that is how it came out! This site needs an edit button.

suggestions 2008/7/19 03:53
There is no reason to stay in a hotel in Nara, especially if you have a JR pass, as it doesn't take that long to travel between Osaka/ Kyoto/ Kobe/Nara. In fact I always stay in Kobe or Osaka as this allow me to enjoy the day in one town and the evenings in another town and to stay in one place for the whole vacation in the Kansai (of course I am used to commute 45 minutes to one hour one way by rapid transit everyday day at home in North America). Himeji is an easy day trip from Kyoto or Osaka as only the castle and the garden nearby are really interesting. Staying in either Osaka or Kyoto I would go from Kyoto to the Fushimi Inari shrine on the Kyoto-Nara line then go to Nara for the afternoon. Then go again to Nara the day after thought it is a bit much for a quick trip as Kyoto as much to offer and Osaka has interesting areas too (it is my favorite city in Japan).
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

THanks 2008/7/20 18:08
thanks for your suggestions.Kobe is a good idea.
by Mundi rate this post as useful

Which pass? 2008/7/20 18:56
Just a quick question.
Which pass would you recommend?
JR West? or another?

Thanks again
by Mundi rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/20 21:43
THe JR West doesn't cover your travel to Tokyo, you'll need the all Japan JR Rail Pass:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Kansai travels 2008/7/21 11:27
The Kansai area is much easier to get around than the Tokyo area. As others have mentioned, a hotel in Osaka, might be much more convenient. It is often used as a hub for people in the Kansai area, and has its own unique attractions. Some people are drawn specifically to Osaka's upbeat, friendly culture and good food.

In Kyoto, consider one of it's numerous Ryokans (traditional Japanese inn) rather than a hotel.
by Inago rate this post as useful

reply to this thread