Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

give me your advise please 2008/7/16 14:45
Hi guys, my name is Jin..

Ifm going to Tokyo late this month and its my first visit, and Ifm going alone so I would love to hear some advise from you guys, Ifm going to stay there for 11days and Ifm planning to stay in Tokyo only, but if you guys think it would be better to visit some where near please tell me, and also I have some questions to ask..

About Language: I cant really speak that much Japanese so will I be fine or I will face some problems ?
will I enjoy it if Ifm alone??

thanks
by Funqtion  

Hard to say 2008/7/16 21:30

You didn't mention your age and that could have a bearing on how you fare by yourself. Another major factor is interests. Do your interests keep you busy, are you ok by yourself in normal circumstances ? It's easy to spend 11 days in the Tokyo area seeing the city. And there are the options of short side trips to Hakone, Nikko, Yokohama etc.
Language will not be too big a problem for general tourist activities and if you are a youngster ( 20ish) then it may be easy for you to make conversation with others in your age group. It can be a bit harder when you're older like me but I have to say some of my best English language conversations in Japan have been with much older educated people.
Good luck.
by RodW rate this post as useful

19years old 2008/7/16 21:41
thanks.. I'm 19 years old, and my interest about Japan is, the culture, the lifestyle, the festivals, the food, the anime and the games.. etc.. and I'm a bit afried of getting lost or something ^^..

thx
by Funqtion rate this post as useful

you will have no serious problem 2008/7/16 23:18
Even without language, like most of other foreign tourists to Japan, you will have no serious problem and be able to enjoy yourself in Japan.

Tourist attractions
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Itinerary
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html
by Ts rate this post as useful

thx 2008/7/17 17:56
thank you guys that made me feel better ..
by Funqtion rate this post as useful

Also Alone 2008/7/18 03:52
I will be meeting my son in Japan late July through early August. He has his own plans on some of these days so I will have to travel alone also. He has told me to be brave and just jump into the adventure. I am older and am also very fearful of not being able to communicate in another country. He keeps assuring me that everything will be okay. You are younger and I am sure more daring so I say, Just get out there and have FUN.
by Margie rate this post as useful

planning ahead 2008/7/18 08:22
There's a *ton* to do in Tokyo alone, and you can easily spend 2 weeks in the area and keep busy.

I recommend planning ahead: use this site and a book like Lonely Planet to decide what you'd like to see. If you are a big museum person, buy a Grutt pass: it's a booklet that contains discount and admission tickets to many museums. It pays for itself quickly. I've gone through 2 of them already.

Find out the train/subway stations ahead of time so you don't have to figure it out on the fly. With all the crowds, it can be intimidating. For traveling in Tokyo, I'd recommend the Suica card.

Outside of Tokyo, I'd go to Yokohama, it's not even an hour away on the train.

This time of of year is hot and humid! Bring a cloth to wipe your face!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread