Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Year In Tokyo 2008/7/17 22:00
We're going to Tokyo for New Year. We arrive 30 Dec until 4 Jan when we're heading on to Hakone and Kyoto.

What is New Year like in Tokyo? Are there celebrations on New Year's Eve? Where is best to go on New Year's Eve?

Looking for bars/clubs and should we buy tickets in advance.

Haven't booked hotel yet, but prob will stay in Roppongi or Shinjuka unless people suggest otherwise?!

Thanks
by Fiona_M  

... 2008/7/18 14:39
Hello! I love NEW YEAR in Japan!!! Simply fun and exciting.

On New Year Eve, you should go to Meiji Shrine at Harajuku at about 11pm. The queue will get very long if you go there too late. At 12midnight, people pray over there, and it's a lovely sight to see the culture. But i think the most interesting place would be the Temple at Asakusa. Go Meiji shrine for a while at 11pm, and head to Asakusa temple for the carnival (great food!), and see the people rushing to pray. The atmosphere is really great.

On New Year Day itself, do go back to the Temple at Asakusa again. it is beautiful, lots of goodies bag (lucky bags) to buy, great food, beautiful decorations, the feel is just so wonderful and i thoroughly enjoyed myself a lot.

After that, go SHOPPING! lots of lucky bags (where they sell it at a price, and there will be many goodies inside the bag, clothes/ hello kitty/ bags). Different shops sell differently. There will also be discounts going on at 101, and small boutiques around Harajuku.

Enjoy!
by SZE rate this post as useful

..... 2008/7/18 14:43
oh you can consider Oakwood apartment at Nishi-Shinjuku (10min walk from the JR station). It is a service apartment, with Bose sound system, flat TV panel, high tech W.C and bath tub, and very comfortable.

Go search for Oakwood, Shinjuku. Email them and request for a Studio apartment (double bed), and if you 3 people, you can request for a 1-room apartment, or 2-room apartment.

The price range is about 13,000 Yen per nite for a room. But they have discount for 8days and above, or Winter special. Check them out. Also, they have Internet at their basement louge. And a beautiful scenery from their rooftop lounge. It's really cosy and nice.

Opposite the apartment, there is the Freshness burger, also v nice haha!!!

This apartment is really value for money i think, very cheap already. i had search the internet for weeks before i came across this. I stayed there last July, and again in Dec for 8 days, and in 3 weeks time, im heading there again!!!
by SZE rate this post as useful

We go there every xmas/new years 2008/7/18 20:26
Hi. We went to Japan at xmas/new years 5 years ago, and loved it so much that we have gone back every year at that time except one (that year we went to Shanghai instead)!

In fact, we'll be there around the same time. We're usually there during the days you'll be there, but this year we're going to Korea/Taiwan first, so we arrive on the third or fourth instead, so we'll miss you!

Going to a shrine to ring a bell is one of the big things to do over new years, however we did that the first year at the Meiji Shrine, and waited in a line for awhile until we gave up! However, the atmosphere at shrines and temples during this period is great, like a fair would be in a western country, with lots of interesting food stalls and stuff.

One of our favourites is the Yasukuni Shrine, details of which you can find on this site. They have a great, festive walk up to the shrine with lots of food stalls, and at the end, you pray, clap your hands and throw some change into the shrine for good luck!

On Jan 1st, shops are generally closed, except around the shrines, so it's a good day to plan on doing that.

On Jan 2nd, shops open again for the new year, and you can do something called "fukubukuro" which are sort of "lucky dip bags" that the department store sells. Basically bags of goods which are sold, with the bag sealed shut, for a certain price, with a guarantee that the goods inside are worth significantly more than the going price.

My favourite fukubukuro are found at Nishi Ginza department store in Ginza (Yurakucho), in the jewellry/Makeup section.

We stay every year at one of the Oakwoods in Roppongi, but that's because we always stay for a week and we now have "our" apartment that they try to keep reserved for us during that period.

With the exception of the Oakwood in Shinjuku, I don't think many of them will rent to you for less than a week, but I'm told the one in Shinjuku is nice.

I've also often looked at the various Hotel Villa Fontaine chain and thought it looked like good accommodation for a reasonable price. There's one of those in Roppongi too. If you want night-life and a touch of western elegance in Tokyo, that's the place to be! But Ginza and Shinjuku and Shibuya are all very nice too.

People will tell you xmas/new years is a bad time to be in Japan because "everything's closed", but they are wrong. You won't notice it much at all, unless you want to go to a great deal of museums.

If you want to get some more information on Christmas and New Years in Japan, have a listen to the podcasts on Japanesepod101.com website.

Most of all, have a great time, it's really a fantastic, festive time of year there.
by tequilatamm rate this post as useful

reply to this thread