Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel during obon 2008/7/19 03:46
Hello, I will be traveling to Japan from August 8th to the 24th. The places that I want to visit are Tokyo and Kyoto (main tourist spots), Mijajima, and climb Mount Fuji.

My problems is this: I have read that travel will be very difficult between the 10th and 17th and that I should stay in major cities like Tokyo.

I hope I can receive some advice on how to plan the trip (e.g., how to best arrange my itinerary given obon). For example, would it be wise to arrive in Osaka on the 8th and head over to Mijajama and Kyoto for a few days before going to Tokyo?

Does anyone have any experiences traveling during this time? Is it difficult to get between cities like Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima?

I really appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.
by Magdalena  

... 2008/7/19 19:25
The transportation situation is only really "critical" around the beginning and the end of the obon holidays, and then especially in the direction of leaving the big cities (around the beginning of the holidays) and in the direction of returning into the big cities (around the end of the holidays).

This year, the peaks are expected on August 12 (outbound) and on August 16-17 (return rush). The other days might also be busy, but should not be extreme.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread