Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food in Miyajima at night..? 2008/7/21 17:25
Can one find a cafe or some good moderately priced food for dinner at Miyajima?. It breaks the budget a bit to stay at a Ryokan there, but if we can eat cheaply we are ok. Is there a 7-11 combini store?
by Harry Gato  

... 2008/7/21 17:48
There is no convenience store, and most restaurants close around 6pm. Only a few stay open a little bit later. I recommend to bring your own food or stay at a ryokan that serves meals.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Ferry 2008/7/21 19:37
Doesn't the ferry run until about 2200. Plenty of restaurants in Hiroshima.
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/21 20:09
err....might be a tad far to go for a bite!
by Harry Gato rate this post as useful

Stay 2008/7/21 20:12
I would break the budget. Have had one of my best nights in Japan in Miyajima. :)
by Olve rate this post as useful

Food 2008/7/22 02:14
RodW likely meant restaurants on the mainland right by the ferry terminal. I agree with the other poster that it is worth splurging and eating in the ryokan. Or else bite the bullet and do not stay overnight in Miyajima. You
can't have it all.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/22 06:05
We just got back last wk from a 2wk trip to Japan, that included an overnight stay in Miyajima. Our visit there was one of the highlights of a great trip.

We were staying with relatives for more than half of our 2wks, so I felt it was OK to splurge at one or two place. So we booked a night at a ryokan there. There are cheaper places to stay on Miyajima (youth hostel I think), but probably no meal...and still fairly pricey.

The ferry runs until late (as one poster said 2200, I think), and is also a short ride. How about a quick run to Miyajimaguchi - there may be restaurants, combini, etc for a cheap meal? Then you could return to catch the evening lights in Miyajima.

If you are staying overnight, get up early in the morning to walk around before most of the other tourists show up. In the morning light, Miyajima is even more awesome.
by warren rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/22 07:13
We're booked at Yamaichi Bekkan and meals are Y3200 each I think, so it's a bit much for us normally. We ate fantastic oyster soba for lunch in a little cafe, and if that was open at night......
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

Yamaichi bekkan.... 2008/9/25 09:26
Stayed during Nov. last year. I found it to be the cheapest (overnight stay)option on the island. The food is world-class but VERY japanese, probably the most 'authentic' Japanese I had on my trip... I couldn't eat some of it, I felt so rude! That said they will offer a western breakfast if you prefer. If you choose not to get food at the accomodation, there is an okonomiyaki joint next door, but I think it closes six ish. Some of the souvenir joints stay open later.

P.S. watch out for the deer... they'll eat anything: clothing, guidebooks...
by R. rate this post as useful

Miyajimaguchi 2008/9/26 09:13
There's a convenience store halfway between the ferry and the JR station. Just beyond the convenience store on the right is a pretty good Chinese restaurant where you can get dinner for about Y1000 each. There are also some Japanese restaurants on the opposite side of the street that are more expensive. There is also a grocery store on the road to the right as you exit the JR station.

Most people who stay on Miyajima eat in their hotels or ryokan. The restaurants that are open in the early evening are along the souvenir strip on the way to the shrine area.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread