Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

abortion? anyone experienced it? 2008/7/25 09:22
Very very very hard choice, but I decided to get an abortion. I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced it and can share what happens. I'm very worried b/c I'm a foreigner and have no idea about what happens when this is done in Japan. I'm very very worried.
by worried  

Hard choice 2008/7/25 13:07
It's a hard choice but at least in Japan, it's more widely accepted than in other regions of the world. I hear of high school students often going that route especially considering the lack of contraceptives use (thankfully it's starting to increase a little).

by Bud rate this post as useful

tough 2008/7/25 21:09
This is such a personal subject I fear you will get all sorts of whack job advice. Take some from me. Don't come back to read them.
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/25 21:29
Abortion in Japan is not illegal. So be sure you go to a proper hospital that looks proper too. There is no need to choose some crummy doctor hidden in the back of an alley.
by Uco rate this post as useful

where to go? 2008/7/26 16:00
My bf isn't sure of where to go and I'd like some place that has an English speaker. I live in Yokohama? Does anyone know of a place there?
by worried rate this post as useful

Use search engine at top 2008/7/26 18:15
Hi Worried
I wrote abortion in top search
bar and heaps of questions with there answers came up with a place to call and see.
Am sure some of the places are still there and going all over Japan including Tokyo.
Good luck
Kiwi
by Kiwi rate this post as useful

The good and the bad 2008/7/27 04:34
Finding a good doctor is important in Japan There are good doctors and bad ones, even at the public hospitals. Going to a bad doctor might mean unnecessary scarring, infections, things left accidentally from the operation, misdiagnosis (I have heard horror stories like these from my small group of friends) On the other hand, I have had good experiences with doctors that have been recommend to me. I usually will go to a doctor that has been recommended by a trusted friend. If you ask around, you can quickly find out by word of mouth who is a good doctor.
by Sire rate this post as useful

Denied for abortion at 4 clinics 2008/7/29 12:08
I went to 4 clinics, with my ultrasound and info (I'm 5.5 weeks) and was denied at all of them. They said b/c I was American. I told all clinics I will pay upfront, b/c of my job (I work for the military base) I don't have National Health insurance. I even called ahead to two clinics and said my bf (who's Japanese) will come on the day of surgery but can't come to any other check up appts. I really want to find a clinic asap that will do an abortion, but I'm having no luck. I'm beginning to get really worried, as I don't want to go over the 7 week mark b/c I know some places won't do it then. Any help? (I live near Yokohama)
by really worried rate this post as useful

Medical treatment without insurance 2008/7/29 12:18
Worried,

Is it not possible to ask on your base? It's not uncommon for people without health insurance to be denied hospital treatment in Japan, so what is the situation for medical treatment (not just abortions) for people working on your base?
Sorry I can't offer any positive advice, but I would recommend going through the official channels rather than looking for dubious clinics off-base that will do anything for cash.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

base will not do it 2008/7/29 12:43
The base can only refer you to Japanese doctors in town. The staff called and explained my situation but they still said no. They are of no help whatsoever.
by really worried rate this post as useful

Get a referral from a reputable GP 2008/7/29 13:36
This is a difficult and emotional situation to be in especially when you are far away from home. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I went to a wonderful doctor, Dr Eugene Aksenoff, who referred me to a clean and professional practice for the procedure.

He is a very kind, elderly Russian gentleman who has been serving the international community, rich and poor, in Tokyo for more than 50 years and was still practicing at age 84. I don't know if he is still practising but his clinic details are
International Clinic, 1-5-9 Azabudai, Minato-ku 03 3582-2646 see article at www.weekenderjapan.com/v04n15/business.html

or 03 3583-7831(this number was on the Australian consulates website)
http://www.consular.australia.or.jp/medicaltokyo.html

Please don't look for a surgeon via the internet, as I'm sure there are many sharks out there preying on young desparate school girls/ It is essential that you see a trustworthy GP first to make a referral for you to a reliable doctor. This may be costly in Japan, but your health is priceless!

Good Luck

by griggsy rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/29 17:12
Get your Japanese boyfriend to do a web hospital search or to look up on the yellow pages for "bosei hogohouu shitei i" (literally "doctors designated under motherhood protection law), which in substance means doctors certified to carry out abortioins. In Japanese, 母性保護法指定医. Not having any National Insurance should not matter - so I don't know what kind of reasons they are giving you to refuse you.

The International Clinic cited by griggsy did help me once years and years ago, but I'm not sure if he is practicing still. Nevertheless, please check on the link (also the magazine article) provided by griggsy.
by anonymous this time rate this post as useful

really worried, your not alone 2008/7/29 20:11
A few years ago my Japanese wife, before we got married, got an abortion. We were really young and stupid and had no money and this pregnancy came as a complete surprise.

I didn't want her to do it but once she made up her mind there was no talking her out of it. In retrospect we were very poor at the time and it probably would have been impossible to take care of a baby. Nontheless the day she went into that clinic was one of the saddest days of my life.

But I guess its so normal in Japan, that they don't even think of it that way. My wife was in and out in a few hours and there were no physical complications - I don't want to get into the emotional complications.

I've never heard of a clinic that won't accept you because your not Japanese or don't have the national health insurance. Abortions aren't even covered by the national health insurance, everyone has to pay out of their own pockets. And considering that your boyfriend is Japanese, as well, that doesn't make sense.

Did you try brining a Japanese speaking friend with you, so that they can understand everything your trying to say?

From what I remember, to legally get an abortion in Japan both partners need to sign like a form of consent and if one of the partners is Japanese, that means their inkan.

As for reputable clinics, most of the ones listed on the US embassy website should be fine - but do a little research just in case.

I've had some foreign female friends here in Tokyo who have had abortions. Albeit they had the national health insurance, but they were never asked about it because, again, abortions are not covered by insurance.

If you are really running out of time, just drage your boyfriend to the clinic and have him complain - these places may give foreigners crap, but they won't do it to a Japanese! The chance of finding a clinic with an english speaking staff is slim, just trust me and bring your boyfriend so he can explain to them in person your situation.

There is no reason why these clinics should not admit you because that is, in all actuality, discriminatory and against the law. I would stop looking for an english speaking place, and just focus on finding a reputable place, even if its only Japanese speaking.

Good luck. I know its a painful descision but, in time, all wounds heal.
by Rather not give a name rate this post as useful

public health center 2008/8/2 03:10
Really Worried, have you consulted to your local hokenjo or YOKE? Also, I don't understand the difference between 5.5 and 7 weeks. It doesn't make sense. For a minute (actually for a couple of days) I thought you meant "months" instead of "weeks".
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread