Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mosquitoes? 2008/7/28 18:45
We will be travelling in Honshu August 6-26. Are mosquitoes a problem in Japan in the summer? Do you need special protection when travelling outside of the big cities? (we are going to Nikko, Shirakawago, Miyajima and Sensuijima)
by Aga&Wil  

mosquitos 2008/7/29 16:52
There are mosquitos in Japan but I've never found them to be more of a problem here than in the U.S....you could bring some insect-repellent towellettes or something and you'd be fine. They also sell insect repellent here but the most prevalent means of mosquito control is with mosquito coils, for which the traditional holder is a ceramic pig. Very cute.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/29 23:26
Not sure where the previous poster lives in the US, but yes you should take precaution against mosquitoes in Japan, if you want to avoid being bitten. We went there earlier this month and got bitten quite a bit - I think mostly because we didn't bother using the mosquito repellant for much of the time. Compared to California where we live, Japan has a lot of water, so consequently there are mosquitoes.
by warren rate this post as useful

just got back 2008/7/30 03:56
My family have just left japan after a six week stay and there are mosquitos. I'd suggest buying and using what ever the locals use where ever you are going.
Definately Mosquitoes in Kawasaki Yokohama and Tokyo but I was only bitten 3 times.
No big deal though so dont worry about it.
by Ade rate this post as useful

everywhere 2008/7/30 05:00
mosquitoes are everywhere especially around temples and other areas protected from wind and with abundant water around. the same goes for cemeteries. even local train stations have them.

best protection is to wear bug spray during the summer. closer to spring and autumn if you're out at night or early morning long clothing works fine.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/7/31 07:34
Thanks for all your advice. We will take some insect repellent, just in case.
by Aga&Wil rate this post as useful

Eaten alive 2008/9/16 13:49
I've been in Japan for 4months and when i was in Kyushu from june to aug. i barely got touched, i'm now in osaka and being eaten alive and i'm not kidding. I've killed 4 today and i have bites all over (i'm really not trying to scare you) some people are more prone to getting bitten in america i rarely got bitten here the flock to me like new western dish...
by Colleen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread