Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt. Fuji, Huts, 5th Stations 2008/8/5 01:06
I apologize if this was asked at some point earlier. I will be climbing Mt. Fuji in July 2009 - planning ahead - and I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to ascend the mountain from the Kawaguchiko 5th station, but descend via the Gotemba trail, ending up at the Gotemba 5th Station so that I can easily hop on the bus to Gotemba Station and hop on the train to Izu?

2. Has anyone stayed at the Taishikan or Fujisan Hotel mountain huts? Are they decent?

Thanks.
by aurora  

... 2008/8/5 01:15
Is it possible to ascend the mountain from the Kawaguchiko 5th station, but descend via the Gotemba trail, ending up at the Gotemba 5th Station so that I can easily hop on the bus to Gotemba Station and hop on the train to Izu?

Yes! You can expect similar timetables to this year's ones:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji_season.html

Has anyone stayed at the Taishikan or Fujisan Hotel mountain huts? Are they decent?

I stayed at one, although I can't remember the name. I think all of the huts on Mount Fuji are decent, but like all mountain huts, very spartan. They can also get very crowded during the peak days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/8/5 01:47
As always, thanks for the info Uji. I'm planning on going on Friday July 3rd. The very beginning of the climbing season. Would you know if Friday nights at the beginning are usually crowded or considered "peak"?
by aurora rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/5 05:09
No, Friday evenings in the first half of July are not considered peak season.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Not crowded but may be blocked. 2008/8/5 21:54
Hi, I just wanted to add a comment that at the beginning of July some trails may be blocked due to lingering snow. For example, this year the Gotemba Trail was blocked until July 8th. ( http://mountfujiguide.com/blog/4plus/143 )
No one can predict the climate of the next year accurately, but you may want to keep the possibility in mind.
by junior rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/8/13 04:57
Thanks everyone for all of the info. I will make back-up arrangements if we are unable to make the climb.
by aurora rate this post as useful

Gansomuro 2008/8/13 21:34
I stayed at Gansomuro at 3250 M this year. It was good. but costs 9000yen though, incldues 2 meals
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

reply to this thread