Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn Foliage in Hokkaido 2008/8/6 23:57
I planning to visit Hokkaido for the autumn foliage.

1. May I know when is the best time to visit during sept?
by HCLim  

... 2008/8/7 00:18
In the average year, the second half of September is a good time to see the autumn leaves in Daisetsuzan National Park. It is the first (and almost only) region of Japan to see autumn leaves as early as September.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Autumn Foliage in Hokkaido 2008/8/7 00:28
I am planning to visit Hokkaido for the autumn foliage.

1. May I know when is the best time to visit during sept?

2. Appreciate some experts out there to review is my itenaries feasible

Day 1, Traveling from Osaka to Sapporo. Need recom on hotel which nearby the JR statio

Day 2, Sapporo day tip to cover Odori park, Sapporo Beer Museum, Tokeidai Clock Tower, Susukino Ramen Alley, Asahi Beer Factory, Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Day 3, Otaru Day trip by JR train. Cover Music box museum, Kitaichi Glass, Orgel Doh, Canal Area

Day 4, Furano / Biei day trip. Is there any package bus tour which covers Farm Tomita, Furano Winery, Furano Cheese Factory? Is there any flower to see during autumn

Day 5, Sapporo -- Noboribetsu -- Lake Toya
First drop by Lake Oyunuma -- Hell Valley, proceed to lake toya . Not sure can I cover Shiraoi Ainu Village on the same day
Any hotel to recommend?

Day 6, Lake Toya to Hakodate
Take Donan bus to Mt,Uzu , Mt. Shiwoshin zan, walk around the shopping street. Proceed to Hakodate
Any hotel to recommend?

Day 7, Hakodate City Tour. Cover morning market, Fort Goryokaku - Hachiman slope - Russian Orthodox Church - Catholic church - Old British Consulate - Mt.Hakodate (if there is a nite train to Osaka, I would love to experience it.

Day 8, Hakodate to Osaka

Thank you in advance for your input.
by HCLim rate this post as useful

autumn foliage 2008/8/7 00:35
by William rate this post as useful

In Hokkaido Nov 9-14....autumn colours ? 2008/8/7 17:07
Will the trees be bare by Nov 9-14 in Hokkaido? I love the link
http://www.rurubu.com/season/autumn/koyo/ but even with babelfish I couldn't make much sense out if it...is there an english language site similar?
Thanks
by Aleph rate this post as useful

autumn foliage 2008/8/8 02:57
These 2 sites I find are also in Japanese only. See whether it helps a bit.

http://www.mapple.net/sp_koyo/

http://www.walkerplus.com/koyo/

November 2008/8/8 07:42
Yes, the trees will long be bare in Hokkaido in November- they are starting to change in Tokyo by then. In November there is already snow on the ground in many parts of Hokkaido.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Night train from Sapporo to Osaka 2008/8/8 10:42
The Twilight Express goes from Sapporo to Osaka overnight. But, if you are using a railpass, you must pay an extra 11,000Y for a couchette. You leave Sapporo at 1405 and arrive Osaka 1252. So, it's a 21-hour trip. It only goes on certain days. Without a railpass, the fare is 25,260Y.

With a railpass and without paying extra, you can leave Sapporo at 2200 and arrive at Aomori at 0537 on the Hamanasu. On the Hamanasu with a railpass, you either sleep in carpeted compartments (hard surface, no bedding) or sit up all night. From Aomori, you can take further trains to reach Osaka at 1317 in early afternoon. You can also get a birth on the Hamanasu, if you want to pay extra.

by ginnyfsf rate this post as useful

Night train from Hakodate to Osaka 2008/8/8 11:21
May I know is there any train from Hakodate to Osaka?

Can some experts out there to review my itenaries is it feasible?
by HCLim rate this post as useful

Night trains from Hakodate 2008/8/8 12:14
Yes, there are also some night trains from Hakodate that will get you to places in the morning, and then you can transfer to another train (or 2) to get to Osaka by late morning or early afternoon. You can use Hyperdia.com and Jorudan.com to research trains. Put in your beginning point, ending point, date, desired arrival time to see what's available.

Again, some are free with railpass and others require additional payment.

If you wait until you get to Sapporo, the JR office in Sapporo station will have staff that can help you book exactly the right one for what you want. But yes, it can be done.
by ginnyfsf rate this post as useful

translation 2008/8/9 05:31
Aleph

take a look below for a translated version of one of the Japanese autumn foliage sites:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+41094+...

reply to this thread