Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

driving from Narita Airport to Matsumoto 2008/8/9 16:54
Hi,

i'm planning to visit japan during end of oct with my bf, and Matsumoto will be my our stop. but because it's too expensive to take a train (cost around 10,000 yen per person Narita - Shinjuku - Matsumoto, and it takes about 4 1/2 hrs in total) that it's way we're thinking of driving straight to matsumoto to save us some time and cost. here it's few questions i have:

1. how long does it takes to drive from Narita airport to Matsumoto?

2. How much toll do i have to pay?

3. izzit difficult to navigate from Narita to Matsumoto?

hope those with experience will be able to help.Thanks in advance!!

Tippi
by tippi_jj  

... 2008/8/10 10:59
Information from online driving navigation service website.

*NRT airport to JR Matsumoto station
Highway Toll: 7,300yen
Car Rental: ???
Gas: 180yen/1L
Distance: 300km
travel time: 4 and 1/2 hours
by Ts rate this post as useful

traffic jam 2008/8/10 12:48
the trouble with driving is if you get caught in a traffic jam it can easily turn into a 10 hour nightmare. Chuo highway is always busy.
by joseph rate this post as useful

driving 2008/8/10 13:22
I assume that you are familiar with driving on the left side?
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

driving to Matsumoto 2008/8/10 14:46
I'm a big advocate of renting a car and driving in Japan but in this situation, it would come down to your choice really. The cost of renting the car & the tolls may be a bit less than the train tickets (depends on the car rental cost & gas used), but the time won't be all that different. Once you get out of Tokyo the Chuo should be fine, and depending on the day of the week/time of day the drive around/through Tokyo could be pretty smooth, but occasionally it does get to be a pain.
Recently I haven't seen those massive traffic jams that used to be the norm, what with the bayshore route and additional expressway segments...I have in fact been stuck in traffic but only for a couple of hours. usually.
Coming back to Tokyo on the Chuo on a Sunday night, however - expect backups from Otsuki junction on.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/10 16:47
how long does it takes to drive from Narita airport to Matsumoto?

If there are no traffic jams, it takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes to Matsumoto IC. Traffic jams in central Tokyo can easily add 30-60 hours to the travel time.

How much toll do i have to pay?

Around 7100-8600 yen depending on your route.

izzit difficult to navigate from Narita to Matsumoto?

The drive is very easy except the part when you have to navigate through the expressway labyrinth of central Tokyo. That is very challenging and very stressful.

Me too, I would opt for a train journey for this particular route, especially considering that you just completed a long distance flight. The Narita Express and Azusa Limited Express via Shinjuku provide a very comfortable, fast connection from Narita to Matsumoto. If you have big luggage, you can use a delivery service:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

another alternative 2008/8/10 17:04
I'm another advocate of driving over trains to see (rural) Japan and we did drive from Tokyo to Matsumoto about 3 yrs ago as part of a 9 day driving fiesta but on this occasion, I have to agree with Spendthrift, you won't save much money (esp since there are only 2 of you) and definitely not save on time because you'll have to cut right through central Tokyo. Also, did you mean you plan on visiting Shinjuku and if so, that's definitely not car friendly unless you know Tokyo well. I would suggest you train it to Matsumoto, then hire a car right outside the train stn. Matsumoto is the base city to tour the Japan Alps which is one of the prettiest areas in Japan and if this is your first time in the Japanese countryside, it will totally bowl you over. Anyway, there is so much to do and see but Matsumoto itself is just another city with perhaps only the castle worth visiting. In summary, my advice is to take the train to Matsumoto but don't go to Matsumoto only--you 'll be disappointed if you do. Rather I strongly urge you to go to Matusmoto for the beauty of the surrounding countryside for which a car is a definite advantage, do this and you should come away with a totally different perspective of Japan. Have a great trip.
by EL rate this post as useful

Driving?? 2008/8/11 04:16
I travel regularly to Japan and Europe and have visited many out of the way places there by trains and local country buses. It takes a bit of planning and patience but relaxing rides in trains beat driving on unfamiliar routes anytime for my Japanese buddy and I (we live in North America).
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

thank you everyone 2008/8/16 17:31
thanks everyone for your input. it's definately helpful in plannig my trip. however, i've changed my itinerary coz flying into osaka it's much cheaper than flying into tokyo :)

japan here i come! ;D
by tippi_jj rate this post as useful

--- Chuo Taxi --- 2008/8/16 22:35
This might be another option; Chuo Taxi Airport Service.

i live in Nagano and have made the most of this convenient survice to and from Narita. They are one of the most reliable taxi companies in Nagano and the only company that offers superb AIRPORT SHUTTLE VAN SERVICE.
http://www.chuotaxi.co.jp/index.php?id=8

With this splendid service, you are free from the stresses such as changing trains, carrying your heavy suitecases or checking the timetables and fares.

The fare is 10500 yen from the exit of the airport arrival terminal directly to your destination in Matsumoto city. (9500 yen if it is to Nagano city.)

It usually takes a little longer than you usually drive though, because the van may wait for some other people from other flights for a while and stops every time when people get off at their destinations.

The homepage above shows how you can make an inquiry and a reservation, but please notice it should be made 5 days in advance of your arrival at Narita AP.
by Haru in Nagano rate this post as useful

reply to this thread