Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Green level JR Rail Pass 2008/8/11 07:39
I have purchased a JR Green 14 day rail pass (61,200) for mid Sept. I will need to travel with a cane and one piece of small luggage. I will be travelling from Shibuya-Tokyo-Yufuin with some local usage in Yufuin and Shibuya-Shinjuku. The Hikari pass noted after I purchased the pass that "most" Hikari trains do not have green seating. Is the JR Green level worth the cost if it can be used for the Tokyo-Yufuin trip? What does "most" Hikari trains mean? Should I try to exhange the green to an ordinary pass with a 15% exchange fee cost? Should I cancel the JR Pass and pay local fare at the time I travel ie Nozomi?
Thank you very much
by Raven  

Green class 2008/8/11 10:48
Raven,

West of Okayama, there are no Green cars on Hikari (Hikari Rail Star) services. These services do however have superior standard class seating (2+2 as opposed to 2+3) if you reserve seats in advance. The train from Hakata to Yufuin also does not have Green car seating, although I think that train is pretty comfortable too.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/11 10:57
Raven, do you have a plan to stop by cities between Tokyo and Yufuin? (ex. Kyoto, Osaka) If not, it is more reasonable and comfortable to fly from Tokyo (Haneda domestic airport) to Oita airport (about 1hr from Yufuin). I did a quick search and there're still discount tickets available for mid-September. (less than 20,000 yen for one-way)

With JR pass, you cannot ride Nozomi fastest shinkansen and you're most likely to change shinkansen at Shin-Osaka station.
by JLady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread