Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail Pass/Suica/Pasmo 2008/8/11 12:29
I would be travelling from Nagoya to Tokyo with family of 4 adults in early Nov. for 7 days (6 nites). Is it more economical to buy the Japan Rail pass if I intend to take the shinkansen to Tokyo. I intend to stay at either Shinagawa or Ikebukuro. If not which pass is more suitable, the Suica or Pasmo?
Thank you very much for all advice.
by Pat  

. 2008/8/11 15:40
It wouldn't be economical for that alone - the pass costs 28300 yen/person, but one-way shinkansen fare from Nagoya to Tokyo is at most 10980 yen (reserved seat on the fastest Nozomi trains).

Neither Suica nor PASMO can be used to pay for shinkansen travel. Either one is equally useful for local travel around Tokyo; Suica can also be used on JR trains only in the Nagoya area, if you'll be heading back there.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

about Japan 2008/8/11 17:04
Please click on A-Z at the top of this site. Read especially the whole section about trains, pases etc. under transportation. Read also about historical sights, food etc.
by Monkeys ee rate this post as useful

JR ads 2008/8/11 17:59
Actually JR were advertising not to long ago that you can use a Suica to enter the shinkansen platforms now, I'm not sure of the details though. You may still need to pay the express surcharge separately.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Suica & Shinkansen 2008/8/11 21:54
Sira wrote:

Actually JR were advertising not to long ago that you can use a Suica to enter the shinkansen platforms now, I'm not sure of the details though.

That's right, but it's currently only for the JR East shinkansen lines (not Tokaido Shinkansen), and only with Mobile Suica (not the regular Suica cards).
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Bus option? 2008/8/12 13:27
Thanks for the replies. Maybe taking an express bus from Nogoya to Tokyo would be a cheaper (but longer)option. It is ok to decide only when I am in Nagoya or I need to book in advance?
by pat rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/8/12 14:04
Highway bus Nagoya - Tokyo costs ariybd 3500yen.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Thanks again 2008/8/12 16:26
Thank you again. Checked out the 123bus.net website and found it easy to book. Shall do so when they are open for booking, as they only have dates till September.
by Pat rate this post as useful

Worried about Luggage 2008/8/12 16:32
I forgot to ask whether on these buses would I have any problems with our lugguage? Anyone encountered any?
by pat rate this post as useful

reply to this thread