Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Please help with translation 2008/8/12 00:07
I decided to do a tatoo=) ("faith in yourself") But I found only "confidence in yourself" (自信). The sense is different=( Please help me to tranlate phrase "faith(trust) in yourself":)
by Alissa Inw  

... 2008/8/12 17:24
It might be hard to come up with Kanji to match this sentiment, because of cultural nuance. While having faith in yourself is seen to be a positive thing in the West, it may be taken as excessive pride in Japan. If you can find the right Kanji, please get multiple native Japanese and Chinese speakers (the meaning of the same characters is not always the same) to confirm that the meaning is something that you really want on your body forever.
by sora da yo rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/12 18:10
Not all English phrase can be exactly translated into compact Japanese/kanji phrases.

Consider choosing among existing kanji phrases instead of having your phrase translated.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

re 2008/8/12 21:10
Thanks 4 your reactoin! Yea, it is very hard to find right meaning. http://www.bolden.ru/glossary/glossword/1.8/index.php?a=term... - what does mean this Kanji?
by Alissa Inw rate this post as useful

(^^ 2008/8/12 23:41
自身(Ji-shin) means "person who is confident in yourself"
信念(shin-nen) means "person who have the courage of your convictions"
信用(shin-yo) means "person who one can trust"
信仰(shin-ko) means "person who is the deeply religious"
by shin0526 rate this post as useful

(^^ ↑ 2008/8/13 00:08
sorry, i correct the mistakes. "自身"→"自信"

"faith" means "自信","信念","信用"and"信仰" in japanese.

i think The best kanji is "信念".

"信念" → (live according to one's beliefs),(ive up to one's beliefs),(adherence to a belief),(true to one's convictions),(stick to what one believes in), (stand in one's belief )
by shin0526 rate this post as useful

The best translation 2008/8/13 00:10
The best translation in your case is
己を信ぜよ
Thank you for visiting my site :)
by Oleg rate this post as useful

=) 2008/8/13 00:31
wow) thanks a lot!!! I have a lot of variants now)))
by Alissa Inw rate this post as useful

Please 2008/8/13 06:07
Before doing anything permanent, please consider contacting the guy who does this website with your ideas:

http://hanzismatter.com/

It deals with incorrect tattoos done in Chinese/Japanese characters. If you want your tattoo to be understood and correctly interpreted by all Chinese character-reading Asian people, you might not want to go with a Japanese translation... Only Japan uses hiragana, among other reasons previously mentioned.
by sora da yo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread