Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train transfer 2008/8/12 01:52
Hi, could someone give me some advice on the following:
1) I wish to travel via train from Ueno to Sapporo via our JR pass. From Hyperdia, if i take HAYATE 1 at 7.02 am from Ueno, I will reach Hachinohe at 1003 and the train leaving to Hakodate is 1015. Transfer time is 12 min. My question are will 12 min enough for transfer if we have two young children plus luaggage and pram to carry. How difficult is to walk to platform at HACHINOHE leaving to Hakodate. Same for Hakodate transfer to Sapporo - transfer time is 15 min at Hakodate. What happen if we miss the transfer?

2) From the website, we learn that in mid Dec there is a Niseko express which travel from Sapporo to Niseko directly without transfer at Otaru. When actually in mid Dec will this service start? I could not find the info in JR website.

Thank you.

by Al  

Train transfers 2008/8/12 10:05
Al,

The transfer is very easy, as it is a fairly compact station, so you should not have much trouble even if weighed down by all that luggage.
You can see a map of the station here...
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1230.html

Just follow the crowd of people changing from the shinkansen to regular express.

At Hakodate, I recall the transfer is even easier, as the platforms are all on the same level.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Train Transfers - Hachinohe & Hakodate 2008/8/12 11:09
Hi Al,

As Dave in Saitama said, just follow the crowd exiting the Shinkansen and transferring to express trains. We started from Tokyo Station on our way to Hakodate and did the same 12 minute transfer at Hachinohe. We stayed in Hakodate a few nights before going to Sapporo. When you exit the Shinkansen at Hachinohe, follow the crowd down a SHORT sloping hallway. At the bottom of the hallway is a station attendant in dark blue/black uniform directing people to their platforms. Show him your ticket or ask, "Hakodate?" and he'll point you to your platform. There's also signs that clearly provide you with directions. There's a stairway of about 25 steps leading down to the platform level. It took my wife and I only about 3 or 4 minutes to get to our platform. So, you will have enough time.

For your Hakodate transfer to Sapporo, the express train platforms are fairly close to each other and on the same level. 15 minutes gives you more than enough time to get to your next train. Always look at overhead signs that provide clear directions. You should also ask any station attendant. It is most unlikely you'll miss your transfer but if you do, simply catch the next train. I believe the next train to Sapporo is about 45 minutes later. You'll need to go into Hakodate Station and exchange your tickets at the JR Service Center for reserved seats. Hakodate is also a small station.
by Harold rate this post as useful

Train transfer 2008/8/12 21:58
Dave and Harold, thanks much!
by al rate this post as useful

Niseko Express 2008/8/12 22:34
Anyone knows about Niseko Express, when will it starts operation exactly in December?

Thanks
by al rate this post as useful

reply to this thread