Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Skiing in early December 2008/8/12 22:37
Hi everyone,
I'm heading over to Japan for 13 days from late Nov - early Dec (leaving Dec 10) and my friends and I would really love to go skiing. Travelling from Tokyo - Hokkaido would eat up too many precious hours and we would prefer to go somewhere closer to save time e.g. Japan Alps, Shiga Kogen etc. I was wondering if any of the resorts are open and if there would be any decent snow by that time. If not, do we have any other options?
Thanks!
by michelle  

FYI 2008/8/14 12:48
That's too early for skiing...Ok I'll put some. These info are referring last season(07-08).
1. Tanigawa-dake Tenjin_daira(Gunma pref)/late Nov.
2. Sugadaira-kogen(Nagano pref)/early Dec.
3. Naeba(Niigata pref)/mid Nov. (depends on areas)
4. Shiga-kogen(Nagano pref)/early Dec. (depends on areas)
5. Tanbara(Gunma pref)/early Dec.

Those above are expected with natural snow. If you're ok with artificial one, you can find more areas.
BTW this's a very difficult question. Doesn't you all have some info site or something with English texts?
When does they open, it's a common issue even for japanese skiers/snowboarders.
by snowboarder rate this post as useful

early 2008/8/14 19:01
Last season was early, so you can't take that as being normal.

Shiga Kogen is the highest, and is more reliable.
Kagura (linked to Naeba) is also high, and they sometimes open the peak chair early.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Too Early 2008/8/14 21:14
That's way TOO early for skiing UNLESS there's abnormal snow. So it's a big if. Late Nov. might be a good time to see koyou (Autumn Leaves) in Southern Japan. Otherwise, try Whistler (much higher latitude).
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

North 2008/8/15 13:05
What about going up to Hokkaido e.g. Niseko? Will there be enough snow up there or no difference really?
by michelle rate this post as useful

Hokkaido 2008/8/15 14:46
I guess, "Niseko" will be opened earlier. Last season it was 23th Nov. "Kiroro" also will be late Nov.
But in Sapporo city, will be early Dec if you expect nice natural snow.

How about check web sites like these?
http://alljapanguide.com/regions/hokkaido/winter_resorts/

http://www.skijapanguide.com/index.php
by snowboarder rate this post as useful

reply to this thread