Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Getting there fm Shinjuku San Chome 2008/8/13 00:31
How can I get around from Shinjuku san chome station to the following stations? (for e.g. which line & station to transfer to get there) I'm bringing my 2 kids along. Therefore I prefer the transfer to be easy in between stations.
1) Asakusa
2) Roppongi
3) Ueno
4) Tsukiji
5) Akihabara
6) Shibuya
7) Ikebukuro
8) Ginza
by eileenksj  

Tokyo subway 2008/8/13 09:47
Eileenksj,

You can use the Tokyo subway map provided here to check the best routes in Tokyo...

http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/service/pdf/routemap_en.p...

Incidentally, it took me about 10 seconds to find that URL by searching for "Tokyo subway map" on Google.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

??? 2008/8/13 10:23
Thanks for your advise. I had downloaded the subway map before even posting the questions. The subway route in Japan is confusing. It is hard to understand.
by eileenksj rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/13 11:04
--How can I get around from Shinjuku san chome station to the following stations? (for e.g. which line & station to transfer to get there) I'm bringing my 2 kids along. Therefore I prefer the transfer to be easy in between stations.--

1) Asakusa
Take Metro Marunouchi Line, and change trains at Akasaka-Mitsuke to Ginza Line. The train leaves from the opposite side of the same platform. Then the Ginza Line train will take you to Asakusa.

2) Roppongi
Take Marunouchi Line and change at Kasumigaseki to Hibiya Line.

3) Ueno
Take Metro Marunouchi Line, and change trains at Akasaka-Mitsuke to Ginza Line. The train leaves from the opposite side of the same platform. Then the Ginza Line train will take you to Ueno

4) Tsukiji
Take Marunouchi Line to Ginza, and change to Hibiya Line.

5) Akihabara
Take Marunouchi Line to Yotsuya, then change to JR Sobu Local train (with yellow line on the carriage) to Akihabara.

6) Shibuya
Take Metro Fukutoshin Line from Shinjuku-3chome to Shibuya. No transfer.

7) Ikebukuro
Take Metro Fukutoshin Line to Ikebukuro. No transfer.

8) Ginza
Take Marunouchi Line. No transfer.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

correction 2008/8/13 13:10

You wont be able to get around Tokyo by subway unless you're capable to read the subway map at all. I wish you the best luck.
by Ts rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/13 13:19
Alternately, you can walk to JR Shinjuku Station in roughly 8-10 minutes, not to bad and a pretty strait walk down Shinjuku Street.

Walked it the other day after showing some lost people to their hotel.

This can certainly reduce the amount of transfers, eg take the JR Chou-Sobu line direct to Akihabara, or the Yamanote Line direct to Ueno..

Btw on some maps "San chome" station is listed as "3 chome" (san=3)

Again thats an alternate way you can go at it.

by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/13 13:53
From my friends' cases, I'd say JR Shinjuku Station can be confusing for a firsttimer until s/he is accustomed to it. In addition, Metro Lines are much less likely to be delayed or desrupted than JR Lines, like last week's Yamanote Line death accident at Ikebukuro, which caused Yamanote Line outer service to be disrupted for 4 hours 20 minutes in the morning.

. 2008/8/13 14:47
Metro Lines are much less likely to be delayed or desrupted than JR Lines, like last week's Yamanote Line death accident at Ikebukuro, which caused Yamanote Line outer service to be disrupted for 4 hours 20 minutes in the morning.

Like I said "alternate way" of going at it. Reduces some transfers she would have to take.

Metro lines are as prone to delays as JR lines.

That incident last week of the Yamanote line being delayed 4 hours is pretty rare. Metro lines have troubles themselves, which can be a cascade effect because or cause an effect on other non metro line trains, eg through service train on Tobu is delayed causes a chain reaction on any train Tobu runs through on the subway network.

I wouldn't base "possibility of delay" as one of the reasons as to take or not to take JR or Metro lines, or non JR/Metro lines.

All are good, just depends on the circumstances of the day.

. 2008/8/13 15:29
Anyway, transfer from Marunouchi to Ginza Lines at Akasaka-Mitsuke is very simple.

-----

--Metro lines are as prone to delays as JR lines.--

I don't think so.

--That incident last week of the Yamanote line being delayed 4 hours is pretty rare. Metro lines have troubles themselves, which can be a cascade effect because or cause an effect on other non metro line trains, eg through service train on Tobu is delayed causes a chain reaction on any train Tobu runs through on the subway network.--

Have you ever stuck in a train for one hour on the JR East's train? I have many times. I don't want to use JR Lines in Tokyo if possible because of highly possible delays.

e.g. 7-hour disruption on Chuo Line resulted from power outage because of a fire at their transformer plant in April, suicide accidents on a daily basis (though this isn't their fault), mechanical troubles resulting from JR East's poor maintainance ( I hear that's because JR East has decreased the number of professional mechanics in order to prepare for possible low demand in the future due to the current low birth rate.)

Once a suicide accident happens, the exact train on a JR Line stops at the scene at least 40 minutes for the police to investigate the case, while other private railways try to resume operation as quickly as possible.

. 2008/8/13 15:41
Have you ever stuck in a train for one hour on the JR East's train? I have many times. I don't want to use JR Lines in Tokyo if possible because of highly possible delays.

Yes I have. I ride the Chou Line everyday, I know what you mean.

In respect to Central Tokyo and the Yamanote Line, the Yamanote Line is less prone to delays as the Chou Line (which the OP probably won't ride), The Chou-Sobu Line seem to run under different power, since that power outage a few months ago (I remembered) knocked out the Chou line, the Chou-Sobu line still ran.

Metro lines can be delayed as well.

But thats all missing the point of what I'm saying.

I'm saying its an alternate way of going at it. If I had a choice of walking from Shinjuku San chrome to JR Shinjuku to go to direct to Akihabara via the Chou Sobu Line vs. taking the Mauranuchi Line to Yotsuya and paying double the fare, I'd walk to JR Shinjuku.

Its providing alternatives.

how far from hotel? 2008/8/13 15:55
I staying at Shinjuku Listel hotel. I wonder how long it take to walk from the hotel to Shinjuku station. if it is not to far, of course i prefer Shinjuku compare to Shinjuku san-chome since Shinjuku is one of the busiest station.

. 2008/8/13 16:10
Roughly 15-20 minutes, its pretty easy to find JR Shinjuku Station (if you decided to take some trips from Shinjuku Station as an alternate means of transportation).

10~20 minutes is pretty average walk from where you want to go and the train stations. (Any place to any station, JR, Metro, private whatever). Not everything in Tokyo is 1 minute walk from any station.

Shinjuku San chrome (Tokyo Metro part of it at least) is closer to your hotel.

Just saying that JR Shinjuku is another *alternate way of going to some of the places you want to.

. 2008/8/13 16:11
I have no choice but to use Chuo Line as well :-(

As for going to Ueno, IMHO, the OP should use Metro Marunouchi-Ginza Lines, as the transfer at Akasaka-Mitsuke is very simple.

OTOH, as for going to Akihabara, I second your proposition that s/he use the Sobu Local train from Shinjuku to Akihabara.

. 2008/8/13 16:19
By closer, It's about a 7 minute walk (according to their website) to the Shinjuku San chome station.

Alternately, I'm pretty sure you can walk to Tokyo Metro Shinjuku Station in a similar amount of time.
You can still take Tokyo Metro from Shinjuku Station (in reality its a different station then JR Shinjuku) as well.

Don't avoid JR 2008/8/13 19:38
The JR lines are not delayed so often that you should avoid them for that reason- Japan would hardly have the reputation it does for punctual trains if that were the case. I also live on the Chuo Line and relatively speaking, delays aren't that common. In my country it is normal for trains to be 15-30 minutes late, which is not the case here.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/14 03:23
Shinjuku Gyoenmae on the Marunouchi Line, and Shinjuku Sanchome on Toei Shinjuku Line are the closest stations to Hotel Listel. Both stations are 7 minutes' walk. JR Shinjuku is 20 minutes' walk. Therefore there is no reason why the OP needs to walk to JR Shinjuku unnecessarily.

Source: Hotel Listel's website in Japanese

Akihabara is very close to Toei Shinjuku Line Iwamotocho Station, so you can go directly from Shinjuku-Sanchome to Iwamotocho (Akihabara). It takes 12 minutes and costs 210 yen.

I also live on the Chuo Line and relatively speaking, delays aren't that common.

I'm afraid there have been 17 death accidents, mostly suicide cases, on the Chuo Line since the beginning of this year. Other than these accidents, there have been many delays resulting from mechanical issues since the beginning of this year as well.

Source: http://urano.age.jp/chuo.html

Japanese living in Tokyo tend to perceive Chuo Line as unpunctual.

Slide doors are placed at each station on Marunouchi Line, so suicide accidents can hardly occur on that Line.

JR East starts to install slide doors at every station in the next decade, supposedly because they have been fed up with those accidents.

Source: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2008/20080603.pdf

Corrections of errors in my previous post.

x Have you ever stuck
o Have you ever BEEN stuck

x 7-hour disruption on Chuo Line resulted from
o 7-hour disruption on Chuo Line RESULTING from

This is my last post on this thread.

Narita 2008/8/19 01:36
If from Narita, how can I get around from Shinjuku san chome station? Again, I'm bringing my 2 kids along. Therefore I prefer the transfer to be easy in between stations.
1) If I take Keisei Limited Express where should I transfer?
2)If I take Keisei Express do I transfer like Keisei Limited Express?
3)From Shinjuku San-Chome, how should i get to Narita? The other way back as the way I came?

. 2008/8/19 02:53
In case you choose the Keisei limited express, take it to Yawata Station, then transfer to Toei Shinjuku Line. You can get a seat on both trains because you will catch these trains from their original stations.

Keisei train info: http://tinyurl.com/6nwxm7

Train schedule search: http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

On the other hand, taking the Narita Express to Tokyo on the 'Suica and NEX', and change to the Marunouchi Line to get to Shinjuku-Sanchome is another option. The Marunouchi Line segment costs 190 yen each way and takes 18 minutes.

The Narita Express runs to Shinjuku, but the platform is very isolated from everything in the station. It may take up to 30 minutes from the platform to your hotel.

Narita Express info: http://tinyurl.com/68lgxn

The Marunouchi Line ride is covered by the suica credit attached to the combo.

--How to transfer at Tokyo Station--

Tokyo Station map: jreast.co.jp/e/stations/img/map_e/e1039.pdf

The Narita Express pulls in platform #1 on the Sobu underground track: http://tinyurl.com/6ns9ss

Take the escalator to underground level 4: http://tinyurl.com/5nhlbd

Change to another escalator to get to underground level 1: http://tinyurl.com/6288gz

Then clear the Underground Marunouchi Central Exit inserting your Narita Express ticket.

Then you see Metro Marunouchi Line Tokyo Station ahead: http://tinyurl.com/5clcze

Narita 2008/8/19 03:35
Narita Express is too expensive. Am I right the said that Keisei Express do not stop at Yamata?

Narita 2008/8/19 03:37
Sorry typo error. Keisei Express -Keisei Skyliner

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread