Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

black teens in Japan? 2008/8/13 01:24
I am president of the anime club in my highschool & I want to plan a trip to Japan with my members. But I worry about how will a group of black teens be treated in Japan. I am trying to plan a trip with a bit of exploration and not just visits to shrines. Also visit a school and possibly have penpals from that school. If anyone knows any info that can help it would be appreciated.
by DaphnieT  

its cool 2008/8/18 00:15
im mixed race white and black i went with my sister and my friend who is also mixed but white and japanese(but he looks just white really) and i did fine he got ignored a bit tho...in fact the japanese loved me people randomly saying hello waving at windows teen boys recording us on their phones etc..the only racism i got was from english white people.. ps i went to tokyo
by becky rate this post as useful

friendship/sister city agreement 2008/8/18 02:36
You can consult someone who might be able to introduce you a Japanese high school, if your municipality has a friendship/sister city agreement with a town in Japan.

That high school often has English Conversation club and will introduce you some members of it.

Isnt it a good idea?
by Ts rate this post as useful

black teens 2008/8/18 02:44
Also, there is no discrimination on black people or something like it in Japan. Actually, most Japanese ppl have never met them and dont know what they are like. XD (98% of ppl in Japan are ethnic Japanese)

You will be treated as same as other foreign travellers in Japan.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Traveling 2008/8/18 05:08
Ask your school principle if your school has a sister school in Japan. if so, that would be your best bet to establish penpals and stuff, maybe your school could even sponsor your trip because you would be going to the sister school. You can also look into something called EF tours, they can arrange your whole trip, find you the cheapest flights and hotels and stuff. I'll be going to Japan with my old middle school group for about $3500. that includes going to Disney land Japan, going all up and down the island, river cruise, hotels, dinners, breakfasts, and tons of sight seeing. and pretty much everything else.
by Aaron rate this post as useful

too much generalising here 2008/8/18 08:15
I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no discrimination against black people here either- in fact there have been well documented cases. Like most other countries, some people are racist, others aren't. If you are on your best behaviour you shouldn't run into too many problems, no matter what your ethnic group.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Good to know 2008/8/18 09:10
I was thinking of asking a question similar to this myself and Im glad i found this. I'm a black teen and Im planning on moving to japan one day. one of my best friends went to japan and he was treated very well.
by Joshu Kyu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread