Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt Fuji in Nov 2008/8/14 12:37
Can anyone pleae tell me if Mt Fuji from the Kawaguchi station is open for climbing in Nov? Just a half to 1hr easy climb will do.

Also, what are the interesting sights in the
Kawaguchi area as we plan to stay 2 nights in town.

Thanks in advance.
by lsee  

kawaguchi 2008/8/15 14:57
Hi!
Bus from Kawaguchiko station to 5th staion of Mt.Fuji operates in November.
It is possible to climb to the top, but I don't recommend climbing in November if you are not a profeesional mountaineer.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

There are some museums and entertainment places around
Lake Kawaguchi, but I don't recommend them, I think Kawaguchi is resort area for driving, playing tennis, just relaxing there.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html
by mackey rate this post as useful

Thanks mackey! 2008/8/15 16:32
Appreciate your feedback!

I'm beginning to think so too cos I can't seem to find much activities to do at Kawaguchi! How about nearby Kawaguchi since we're based there for 2 nights. We've the Rail Pass so we don't mind travelling to interesting sights.

Thanks!
by lsee rate this post as useful

Mt Fuji in Nov. 2008/8/15 21:33
I have climbed the mountain early Sugust and found it is not interesting at all if you start climbing it from the fifth station from Kawaguchi-ko-guchi. If you love nature, i heard it would be better to climb from the lower part,Yoshida-guchi up through the forest.

Even in August, the temperature at the summit was like in a fridge, not to mention in Novemer! I would recommend you not to try going up too far.

If you love nature like me, you should visit Fuji Visitor Center near Kawaguchiko Interchange. It is admission free and open throughout the year. There you can learn about the mountain and see the educational video in English. The information counter is very helpful as well.

At the foot of the mountain near Kawaguchiko, there are several caves or holes made after its eruptions. One of them where i have actually visited is called Kawaguchiko Field Center. The must there is lava tree molds. You can see or even go into the holes in the rocky grounds, which show the exact shapes (molds) of real live huge trees died in the eruptions.According to their explanation, the place is one of the only two very unique exaples in the world along with Mt kirawea.

Hope you can enjoy your stay there!
by Haru in Nagano rate this post as useful

fridge? 2008/8/16 03:11
it felt like the inside of a freezer on the night of jul 26 this year when i was at the summit.. i had four layers and freezing..
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

Thanks Haru & Ichinensei 2008/8/16 12:05
ok... so climbing is out of the question. Maybe just a short half to 1hr hike in the area to admire the autumn leaves? Any chance of that?

I'm trying to find activities to fill the day.. So far we've the Field Centre, Ice Caves, the cable car ride up & that's about it.

Is the scenery up at the 5th station worth the bus ride up?

Also, how's the food scene over there? I read somewhere that variety is limited and expensive too.
by lsee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread