Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foregin ATM cards in Japan 2008/8/18 06:41
Hello,

I am from Australia and I plan to use my ATM card , when I go to Japan later in the year.

On the websites I've read it mentions using a 4 digit PIN ... what if your PIN has more than 4 digits? Will the card still work in Japan? Do you simply enter the first 4 digits? I wouldn't want to assume my card works and then I'd be in trouble once I get to Japan!

Thanks.

by Jon  

See your bank first 2008/8/18 13:15
Hi Jon,
I"m Australian and we found out our card for debit account would not work in Japan before when we went last year, so we looked at alternatives. However, our credit card did. It all depends on who you bank with and what card you are intending on using. I spoke to the bank first so I knew in advance what I could do. Most post offices have International ATM's. We were able to use for cash advance from Visa card - this is where pin is required. Another card that is handy and works is Travelex Cashcard. You will need to organise this in advance - but great in that it is a debit account, and you can top up with Bpay from your debit account. See your bank first, they should be able to tell you straight away if your card will work or not. And if not, try the above 2 options. Good luck.. and enjoy your trip. :)
by traceyk rate this post as useful

take cash 2008/8/18 13:20
Jon, just finding an ATM can be a pain in the rump sometimes. Usually best at a Post Office.
I suspect that your card will bounce if you use anything other than the entire pin. I've been to Japan 5 times now and in the main have relied on taking cash from Oz. On my most recent trip I did a lot of VISA transactions and got slugged with unreasonable fees....this because my idiot partner left home without her withdrawal card. My bank ( ANZ ) tells me that the best method is now to get a cash card, load it up with the currency of choice for one small fee and use it like a credit card. Other than that I've always felt safe with a s**tload of cash......split up and carried in a few locations upon my person.
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/18 15:34
In regards to the ATMs I use (Shinsei Bank and 7-11 ATMs) when I put in my foreign US based card into those ATMs, the system allows me to enter more then a 4 digit code (mine is only 4 digits, but it appears to let you enter more then 4 with a foreign card).

When I put in my Japanese card, the screen only allows 4 (I guess it can tell the difference between a foreign card and a japanese one), so it will (in my case) allow you to enter more then 4 digits.
by John rate this post as useful

Another option 2008/8/18 16:24
In addition to the options above, you can always change your PIN to 4 digits before leaving town.
by wh927 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/8/18 17:49
Thanks everyone.

I know that my card will work in Japan - it has the appopriate logos etc ..

On my banks website the following is written in regards to using your ATM card overseas:

"PIN requirements vary between countries, These variations are accomodiated by the bank. Just enter your entire PIN, or as many digits as the terminal will allow"

Sounds like, it should work either way, but I could simply change my PIN to 4 digits as suggested just to be on the safe side, I'll speak with my bank shortly.

Thanks again.
by Jon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread