Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

which guides should I buy 2008/8/19 12:08
ok this is embarrassing but I am going in Oct

and I dont know what I wiull be doing there, I am looking to buy lonely planet in Tokyo and Kyoto

this is Tokyo, which book/s should I get

http://www.amazon.co.uk/lonely-planet-tokyo/s/qid=1219115042...

this is kyoto

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-0611733-9710012...

please let me know, thanks
by Abhi B  

Most recent is best 2008/8/19 13:02
Get the most recent city guides (look at the date of publication) as they will have the most up-to-date info.

For Tokyo that is #2 on the list- note that the publication date is 22 Aug 2008, so it will actually be published later this week. That means you might have to wait an extra week or so for delivery, but worth it for such an up-to-date guide.

#1 on the Kyoto list was the city guide published just last month- sounds good to me.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Not lonely planet? 2008/8/19 14:34
Japan Lonely Planet received bad reviews on Amazon.com. For that reason, I'm choosing Rough Guides: Japan.
by anna rate this post as useful

guidebooks 2008/8/19 16:33
I kind of agree with Anna but truly most of the guidebooks make lots of mistakes on even the most simple things, Rough guide included. Why don't you look at the section A-Z at the top of this site? you should also google "tourist info about .." to get the actual Internet sites of Tokyo, Kyoto etc.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Frommers 2008/8/19 21:45
I would buy Frommers. It's much better. They give you many details on restuarants and accomodations according to price range. It includes actual prices, and Websites, etc..
by Ichinensei rate this post as useful

are you a backpacker? 2008/8/20 01:11
I recommended Rough Guides because I'm a backpacker. If you're travelling luxury-style, I think Frommers would be useful.

Monkey: Sometimes carrying a guidebook gives a little piece of mind instead of printing out bits and pieces of stuff from the internet.
by anna rate this post as useful

Osu 2008/8/20 01:17
Thank you my friends for your comments
by Abhi B rate this post as useful

reply to this thread