Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Kyoto train 2008/8/20 01:42
Hello!
I'm planning on spending a few days in Tokyo before grabbing a bullet train to Kyoto. My question is: do I need to get my ticket days in advance or can I buy it day of? Can someone explain the procedure of ticket procurement? And the train leaves from Tokyo Station, correct?
by Mikejo42  

Shinkansen 2008/8/20 10:20
Mikejo42,

My question is: do I need to get my ticket days in advance or can I buy it day of?

You can buy a ticket on the spot. If reserved seats are still available, you can reserve seats there and then, or otherwise head for non-reserved seat cars.

Can someone explain the procedure of ticket procurement?

Queue up at the "Midori-no-madoguchi" ticket office or window and tell the clerk you want a shinkansen ticket to Kyoto. You can also use the ticket machines, which I think have an English language option.

And the train leaves from Tokyo Station, correct?

Yes, and also from Shinagawa station, which is a slightly easier station to navigate.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Buy ticket? 2008/8/20 14:32
Hi
On my trips to Japan I usually go from Shinjuku to Tokyo station after 9 am to miss rush hour.
After heading into the very center of station and yes it is big I look for ticket selling windows facing north
with the big green bands around them for bullet trains. Read the English for where each train goes and wait in that lane. Getting to window I say "reserved seat
to Kyoto non smoking" (in English) but I
believe all trains are non smoking now?.
Hand my rail pass over or money when asked and they are not cheap to buy. When I get the ticket I ask "what track and which part of train please".
Hakari's? are used for rail pass so they normally arrive
around every half hour so I head to track and find the correct place to wait.
Check the ticket for a train number in English and check the light board to see when it arrives. If I have a problem then the JR staff memeber on the platform will assist when I show the ticket.
I alway say thank you or arigato to anyone that assists me and train staff.
Never had a problem yet in 4 trips to Japan.
Not sure how long it takes to get to Kyoto maybe 3 to 4 hours so I either buy set lunch on platform while waiting or on train and eat before I arrive to save time later.
Works for me.
Good luck
Kiwi
by Kiwi rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/20 19:18
If you are returning to Tokyo within 7 days, I would suggest you look into getting the 7 Day JR Rail Pass:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

It is 1,460 Yen more than a round trip via the Hikari Shinkansen, but if you can use it for getting around Tokyo or getting to of from Narita Airport, you will save money.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread