Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagasaki to Kumamoto via Shimabara...? 2008/8/21 07:56
Can I get exact directions to travel Nagasaki-Shimabara-Kumamoto in one day please?
It looks to be more interesting than the long trip around the bay, but is it difficult tying up the bus and ferry connections to arrive Nagasaki Ekimae on the same day?
by Harry Gato  

. 2008/8/21 13:34
You can take the train from Nagasaki to Isahaya (ltd express takes 30min). Bus from Isahaya to Shimabara (takes 2 to 2.5hrs). Ferry from Shimabara to Kumamoto (30min to 1hr ride depending on which company you choose).

Bus schedule:
www.shimatetsu.co.jp/

Ferry companies:
http://www.kumamotoferry.co.jp/03oceaninfo/

http://www.kyusho.co.jp/kouro/k-cf.html

These are Japanese websites that can be translated (more or less) on Google.
by warren rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/21 14:43
Thanks.
Would you say this was easy enough to do through the day with roller bags? It sounds a more interesting way to do it if it's easy enough - not too many changes or crowds to get through!
by Harry rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/21 15:01
I would not necessarily recommend it with significant luggage. Did this last month in the opposite direction (Kumamoto-Shimabara-Unzen-Nagasaki-Kumamoto) in 2days as an excursion from our Kumamoto base (stayed overnight in Obama). So we had all of our stuff in our daypacks for this trip. Don't know if you have this option. For instance, you could leave your luggage at your hotel and come back to pick it up after your trip.

If you are not going to stop and see the sights in Unzen or Shimabara along the way, it would be easier just to take the train from Nagasaki to Kumamoto (about 3hrs). No problem with luggage there.

. 2008/8/21 15:55
Thanks again Warren.
I'm reading into this that it's not really worth the effort visually , right?
by Harry Gato rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/22 14:27
Harry, what time do you want to leave Nagasaki and when do you want to arrive in Kumamoto? Do you just want to get there without doing any touring in between?

If the latter is the case, I'd just take the train (assuming you have a JR pass). There is some nice coastal scenery on the bus ride from Isahaya before heading up towards Unzen. Also the ferry ride, viewing Shimabara is pleasant.

. 2008/8/22 15:00
We'll have our packs and be on the road in the mid morning Warren. Going to Kumamoto for 2 nights then Yufuin and a rental car for 2 days. If it's not fantastic we're resigned to bus or train - it just seemed silly to go almost back to Fukuoka en route to Kumamoto, but that's ok .

. 2008/8/22 16:00
I see.

I'm curious as to what you plan on doing in Kumamoto during your visit there. We did Kumamoto-jo and Suizenji Koen in one afternoon. Did not go to Yufuin this time, but went there for a quick visit 6yrs ago. Sakurajima was a great day trip from Kumamoto (1hr by Shinkansen to Kagoshima now).

. 2008/8/22 16:15
I take it you hang out in Kumamoto warren? Errr... we will get there on afternoon Sept.30 and check in at Toyoko Inn SDM have a day cruisin' the castle and sights, sleep, and head for Yufuin next morning by bus, stopping at Mt.Aso on the way.
You can email us - tkvichta@aapt.net.au

reply to this thread