Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Japanese Beer? 2008/8/26 17:23
What is your favourite Japanese beer? do you prefer the big names such as Sapporo and Asahi or the microbrews?
by Alex  

. 2008/8/27 09:16
This is all personal opinion, of course.

For me, my favorite Japanese beer is Kirin Ichiban. Not too dark, not too light (I don't care for weaker beer). Sapporo is my second favorite. Asahi I don't care for, too weak.

I quite like some of the Hitachino beers, expecially red rice ale. It's so unique: http://www.kodawari.cc/engpage/kodawari/html/hitachino.htm

But for everyday beer, Kirin or Sapporo for me
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

My fav 2008/8/27 11:26
My favorite beer is Yebisu. I think Sapporo brews it and it's very good in my opinion. A pale lager that's just a tad more expensive than the other beers in the market.
by Dan rate this post as useful

kirin 2008/8/27 11:40
kirin seems to be most people's favorite. it's better at an izakaya than it is out of a can. if you can get it bottled it's not bad either. asahi super dry is nice sometimes, but i prefer something darker and heavier, then again i like guiness so..
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/27 18:10
Yona Yona Ale or Tokyo Black from Yo Ho Brewing, pretty much anything from Baird and Minoh.

There is a great 7.5% IPA called IkiIki Taiko Ale, but I was not able to find it on my last trip in April.

From the big boys, some of the Yebisu "limited edition" beers from Sapporo breweries have been good.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

super muck 2008/8/27 18:57
For the mass produced beers Suntory Premium Malts is hands down the best Japan has to offer followed closely by Sapporo's new Edle Pills.Kirin make a delicious autumn brew and Asahi have Orion and LowenBrau. Anyone who thinks Asahi super dry is a quality beer needs a kicking.
by EQuinn rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/27 19:19
Last year, Suntory did a great black version of The Premium Malt's, sadly it didn't survive.

Sapporo Edel Pils is not new, this is the third attempt to launch it into the canned beer market. It was first released in cans in 1987 and lasted about six years. It was reissued as a limited edition can only available via mail in 2007. Since its launch in 1987, it has been available on tap at Sapporo beer halls.

thanks. 2008/8/27 19:31
I've been around for a while and I did not know that. It's nice tho.
If you like your dark beers you should have a go of Heineken Dark (I've only ever seen it in Japan). It's not buttery like the Japanese dark beers more choclately like Guinness. I didn't try the Premium malts dark for fear of the butteryness but you say it was good? shame it's gone then.

visits 2008/8/28 00:42
If you have the time why not visit a brewery or two. It's usually very cheap or free and you get to try all they make when you finish the tour. Most also have a small shop where you can buy beer, glasses, and beer related items at very reasonable prices.
I always visit a brewery every time I go to Japan.
by Ade rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/28 03:09
EQuinn: I used to drink Heineken Dark many years ago, when there was not much choice in the USA. I now avoid drinking international beer brands and brands owned by multinational brewers. There are many better beers to drink. BTW, for anyone in Tokyo, the best beer store has to be Tanakaya in Mejiro:

http://www.bento.com/rev/0622.html

It is located in a basement and has an incredible range of US micros, as well as Japanese micros.

too far. 2008/8/28 07:28
I live well outside any of the major cities in Japan. For most of it I'm limited to what I can find in the local Sakeyasan(s). Yona Yona is nice but the Gotemba range isn't as tasty as everyone says it is. I like porters and stouts. I was in Portland for work a few months ago..I must say for a country that produces such crap as Budweiser and Miller lite there surely are some fine beers made locally.

. 2008/8/28 07:59
EQuinn: Not sure how true this is, but I have heard that Gotemba have two brewing systems and two brewers, one for the brew pub and one for general sales off the premises. It is the brew pub that has the best beer.

Have you ever come across the strong stouts brewed by Asahi, Kirin and Sapporo? They are all around 8%, but very hard to find. I didn't see any this year.

reply to this thread