Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this translation correct / wrong? 2008/8/31 21:03
Since ancient times, the masks are being used in rituals, dramas, and curing sickness.
古代以来、マスクは儀式、ドラマ、及び治っている病気〔吐き気〕で使われています。
Some people believed that have power of protection your home!!!..
何人かの人がそれを信じて保護の権限を持っていてくださいあなたの家!!!..。
by KGK  

Amusing 2008/8/31 21:39
- In the first sentence, "curing sickness" was interpreted as "sickness/nausea which is in the process of recovery."(Gave me a good smile when I figured out how that happened :))

- In the second sentence, the structure of "believe that (description of what they believe)" was not recognized. Also, since the English sentence was missing an "of" for "protection OF your home," it went wrong again... So it says "Some people believed it, please have power of protection, your home!!!" in chopped phrases.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you AK.How is this? 2008/8/31 22:00
Thank you AK. How is this?
Since ancient times, the masks are being used in rituals, dramas, and curing sickness.
古くから、儀式で使用され、マスクされて、ドラマ、病気と硬化します。
Some people believed that have power of protection of your home!!!..
いくつかの人々の保護には力があると信じて自分のホーム!!!..
by KGK rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/1 09:39
What happened - the first sentence got worse :( Now it says, "Since ancient times, it is used in rituals, are masked, and cured (hardened) with drama and sickness.

The second one has not gotton much better either - it says "Believing it has power over several people, own home!!!" (Stil the structure of "believe that (followed by description of what they believe" is missed.)

. 2008/9/1 10:50
I guess you used Google Translation.

http://www.google.com/translate_t#en...

Don't trust machine translation. Its output is always too messy to
understand, in case of distant languages like English and Japanese.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Is this correct? 2008/9/1 17:44
マスク は むかし昔から 儀式、ドラマ、 病気 を治す ため に つかわれて いました。

ある 人 は いま も 自分の いえ を まもる ため にマスクをつかって います。
Is this correct? If not Plz help me. Thanks a lot !!

... 2008/9/2 12:56
The first one is OK, with minor corrections as follows:
マスクは昔から儀式、演劇や、 病気を治すためにつかわれてきています。

The second one now says: "Certain people even now use masks to protect their homes."

For the second sentence, I'm revising the English sentence slightly, OK?

"Some people believed that masks had power of protection their homes."
一部の人は、マスクには 家を 守る 力が あると 信じていました。

AK,Thanks a lot !!! 2008/9/2 13:36
Thanks for every one !!!

マスク 2008/9/2 13:39
I'd like to suggest to use the word 仮面(かめん)instead of マスク because the latter is more commonly used for a medical mask (see below)
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/koichi/img10001846194.jpeg
by . rate this post as useful

Whoops 2008/9/2 14:15
I agree. Somehow I changed the "drama" (from its katakana version to a kanji word that is more traditional) but carelessly overlooked the "mask." (Thouth the movie "The Mask" went as "masuku" in katakana...)

Thank you very much! 2008/9/2 14:56
Thanks a lot everyone, Actually, next week I'll visit Japan. So I bought some (traditional Masks) gifts to my pen pals.This translation help me a lot.
Again Thanks everyone !!!

reply to this thread