Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking in Asahidake Onsen/Sounkyo Onsen 2008/9/4 18:15
What are the trekking options from Asahidake Onsen and Sounkyo Onsen?

From Asahidake Onsen, can I take the ropeway and then hike to Sounkyo Onsen? If this is a possible route, does it pass by the Sounkyo Gorge on the way? How long is the hike in total? Would I be able to go back to Asashikawa for the night?
If this route is not possible, then I would have to choose between the hike from Asahidake oOnsen and Sounkyo Onsen right? May I know the duration and difficulty of each of the hike? And which is the nicer one?
Thanks in advanced for our help.
by ahjack76  

Hiking Asahidake 2008/10/2 14:58
Do you live in Japan? The MontBell stores have a good selection of books and maps. They carry a selection of large maps, including one for the Daisetsuzan area (http://yamachizu.net). That is what I use when I plan my hikes. The estimated hiking times listed on the map are usually pretty acurate.

I have never hiked from Asahidake to Sounkyo, but it looks like it would be nice. From what I know, it would be a good idea to stay overnight in Sounkyo, instead of trying to do it all in one day.

I did the circuit from the ropeway on Asahidake. I didn't take the ropeway up the mountain, and started at 5 am. I did the loop from the ropeway and finished at the ropeway station around 2pm. I was so tired that I took the ropeway down. The hike was fantastic (especially the second half), but the summit was very cold and windy. If you do that loop, be sure to bring a small towel with you, as there is a natural hotspring along the way to soak your feet in!
by Leslie rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/3 05:33
From Asahidake Onsen, can I take the ropeway and then hike to Sounkyo Onsen?

Yes. This hike is possible during the summer months when there is no snow.

If this is a possible route, does it pass by the Sounkyo Gorge on the way?

Sounkyo Onsen is located in the gorge. That is where you will eventually decent to.

How long is the hike in total?

About 8 hours without breaks. I think that most people do it over two days. There is a hut along the way.

In any case, it is a challenging hike, requiring proper equipment. Some mountain experience is recommended.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread